What's new

Getting old photos scanned

RoryR

Registered
20 Feb 2017
I am interested to here from anyone who has managed to find a service here in Tokyo which will scan old photos in volume (e.g., 1000 photos) and at a reasonable price (I paid 9 cents/photo in Canada). Thank you for your trouble.

One local chain here--Kitamura--will scan & make CDs for you of your negatives, about ¥500 per roll. Downside is that they are only medium resolution scans, consumer level. (They also convert old home videos to digital/CDs.)

If you have a decent camera or DSLR, there are some youtubes that show you how to scan your own. So you could have a shop do them all, and then do better versions of the best on your own.

Does it have to be in Tokyo?

This Osaka company can do it for 12 yen each (compared to 86 yen each from FujiFilm)

サービス・料金 | 写真のスキャン・デジタル化なら格安料金の節目写真館

Apparently they send the photos to Vietnam to be scanned. Presumably the lower labor costs account for the price difference.

Dear Mike, Thank you for the lead. I will follow it up and see. I would however worry about having precious pictures shipped to Vietnam. Much appreciated, Rory

One local chain here--Kitamura--will scan & make CDs for you of your negatives, about ¥500 per roll. Downside is that they are only medium resolution scans, consumer level. (They also convert old home videos to digital/CDs.)

If you have a decent camera or DSLR, there are some youtubes that show you how to scan your own. So you could have a shop do them all, and then do better versions of the best on your own.

Dear Johnny, Thank you for your suggestion. Much appreciated, Rory

You might want to consider looking at what sort of scanners there are available now, as well as a good third-party software that eases batch processing and just do it yourself on rainy days when you're stuck in the house anyway.

Back
Top Bottom