What's new

GENKI I, 第8課

21 Jun 2017
Some of this I did ages ago (I think it might have been as much as 2 months ago). Anyway, can you guys look over this and let me know of any mistakes I made please? Questions are regular, my answers are in bold.

199頁~200頁、(III) B
Make a guess about the person or place below and answer the following questions.
Example:
Q: この人は日本人ですか。
A. ええ、日本人だと思います。/いいえ、日本人じゃないと思います。

Picture A (shows a photo of a man)

1. 山下先生はいい先生ですか。
ええ、いい先生だと思います。

2. 有名ですか。
いいえ、有名じゃないと思います。

3. ひまですか。
いいえ、ひまじゃないと思います。

4. 頭がいいですか。
はい、頭がいいと思います。

5. 背が高いですか。
いいえ、背が高くないと思います。

6. 忙しいですか。
ええ、いそがしいと思います。

7. 結婚していますか。
ええ、けっこんしていると思います。

8. お金をたくさん持っていますか。
いいえ、たくさん持っていないと思います。

9. よく食べますか。
はい、よく食べると思います。

10. よくスポーツをしますか。
いいえ、よくしないと思います。

11. フランス語を話しますか。
いいえ、フランス語を話さないと思います。

Picture B (shows a picture of a beach)

1. ここは日本ですか。
いいえ、日本じゃないと思います。

2. 有名な所ですか。
いいえ、有名な所じゃないと思います。

3. 空気はきれいですか。
はい、空気はきれいだと思います。

4. 暑いですか。
はい、あついと思います。

5. 冬は寒いですか。
ええ、ふゆがさむいと思います。

6. 人がたくさん住んでいますか。
いいえ、たくさん住んでいないと思います。

7. ここの人は、よく泳ぎますか。
はい、よくおよぐと思います。

8. 夏によく雨が降りますか。
ええ、よくふると思います。

203頁、(VII) A
Use the table below and answer the questions.
Example:
Q: だれがイギリス人ですか。
A: ロバートさんがイギリス人です。

1. だれが韓国人ですか。
スーさんがかん国人です。

2. だれが料理をするのが上手ですか。
ロバートさんが料理をするのが上手です。

3. だれがいつも食堂え食べますか。
たけしさんがいつも食どうで食べます。

4. だれがデートをしましたか。
メアリーさんもたけしさんもデートをしました。
(Or perhaps: 「メアリーさんとたけしさんがデートをしました。」 I went with the above because I think this other one means that they had a date with each other and the chart doesn't specifically say that, just "had a date last weekend" for each of them. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.)

5. だれが犬が好きですか。
メアリーさんが犬が好きです。

204頁、(VIII) B
Answer the following questions.

1. けさ、何か食べましたか。
はい、ビーンズとチーズとハラペーニョを食べました。

2. きょう、何か買いましたか。
いいえ、何も買いませんでした。

3. きょう、テレビで何か見ましたか。
ええ、何か見ました。

4. 今、何かいりますか。
いいえ、何もいりません。

5. 週末、何かしますか。
ええ、仕事に行きます。

6. 週末、何か勉強しますか。
はい、日本語を勉強するはずです。

A) 8, 10)
たくさん持っていない or よくしない are not wrong, but あまり持っていない or あまりしない are more natural in negative sentences. When you use たくさん or よく in negative, たくさん持っていない or よくしない sound more natural.

B) 3)
は works as the contrastive marker here.

5)
が shows 冬 is the correct answer in examples, and は could work as the contrastive marker. To avoid these misuses of は and が, the best way is to omit the subject (and that's more common in Japanese).

6)
The same as A8/10.

VII) A) 4)
Your understanding is correct.

VIII) B) 3)
(The name of a program)を見ました。 is more common as an answer since the program name is usually obvious for you who watched it.

6)
はず is not used for a future plan the speaker can control (mostly volitional verbs). You need to use つもり or 予定 in this case instead of はず.
Incidentally, はず works well for the speaker's unexecuted past plan, e.g. 先週末、日本語を勉強するはずでした (implying "but actually I didn't").

A) 8, 10)
たくさん持っていない or よくしない are not wrong, but あまり持っていない or あまりしない are more natural in negative sentences.
Ah, I didn't even think of changing these words in my answers. Thanks for the tip.

たくさんは持っていない or よくはしない sound more natural.
Huh, I haven't learned that construction. Does that apply to all adverbs or just some of them? Like what about this, for example?

ジェフさんは早く走っていますか。
いいえ、早くは走っていないと思います。

B) 3)
は works as the contrastive marker here.

5)
が shows 冬 is the correct answer in examples, and は could work as the contrastive marker. To avoid these misuses of は and が, the best way is to omit the subject (and that's more common in Japanese).
Thanks. I'm not even sure why I repeated the subject in these cases, probably I just started copying down part of what the textbook said without thinking about it.

VIII) B) 3)
(The name of a program)を見ました。 is more common as an answer since the program name is usually obvious for you who watched it.
Yeah, I happened to not know the name of the shows this time, so that's the only reason I answered that way.

はず is not used for a future plan the speaker can control (mostly volitional verbs). You need to use つもり or 予定 in this case instead of はず.
Incidentally, はず works well for the speaker's unexecuted past plan, e.g. 先週末、日本語を勉強するはずでした (implying "but actually I didn't").
OK, good to know. Thanks!

Does that apply to all adverbs or just some of them? Like what about this, for example?

ジェフさんは早く走っていますか。
いいえ、早くは走っていないと思います。
Mostly, yes. As for your example, 早い is for temporal, i.e. "early", so it should be 速く(は) for "to run fast". Also, there is another position of は 速く走ってはいない. The same goes to たくさん持ってはいない.

This は works as the contrastive marker, so お金をたくさんは持っていない shows "he has some money, but it's not much". This is a common situation, therefore it sounds more natural than たくさん持っていない.
As for the position of は, たくさんは持っていない denies たくさん, whereas たくさん持ってはいない denies たくさん持って(いる), so the meaning is the same after all.

Back
Top Bottom