What's new

Gaba

Hi,

I'm just sending a job application off to Gaba Corporation for a job (English teaching). Does anybody have any experience with this company? Any advice on applications would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ratings
Hi,
I'm just sending a job application off to Gaba Corporation for a job (English teaching). Does anybody have any experience with this company? Any advice on applications would be appreciated. Thanks.
Avoid them unless it is your last hope.

Talk to people at the ESL Cafe for more advice.

Avoid them unless it is your last hope.
Talk to people at the ESL Cafe for more advice.
Thanks man.
I've been googling about 'em. Get's some real mixed reviews. I've applied to a load of different places so I'll see what happens.
Thanks for the advice.

Ratings
Mixed reviews? Well, that in itself should be a red flag. Some people don't really care about doing a good job at teaching, so they will probably say stuff more on the positive side, or at least things like "I don't really mind". Fact is, GABA hires a lot of non-native English speakers, for various reasons and not all good. Also, learn specifically how you will get paid. I believe you are somewhat on call and get paid only for lessons when a student shows up. Also, it's not an hourly wage, but GABA has been known to advertise the pay as a "per hour" figure. So you expect X and get paid 3/4 X because you may actually teach only 45 minutes.

Some people have made fair amount of money there, but that's after staying a long time and taking a heckuva lot of lessons. I wouldn't recommend GABA or that type of teaching strategy for any newcomer. Plenty more fish in the sea here.