What's new

Futon for couple

emzperx

Registered
29 Jun 2014
Hello,
I'm Daniel from Hungary and I'm new to this forum, I registered in hope that someone would be able to help me here. Me and my girlfriend bought a small flat in the city, but we haven't really bought any furniture yet. I know she'd really like a japanese styled room with a kotatsu and futon, but I'm not really well versed in japanese culture, but I'd like to surprise her with a futon. As we have no room for a regular bed and we both dislike these foldable bed/sofa transformer abominations it would be ideal. I did some research on the internet and found out how it needs to be aired and cleaned and that I should probably buy one from rakuten. What I did find confusing is how they sell these, I tried searching futon and futon sets but not sure what futon means anymore, is it just that matress that's on top or is it the harder thing you put under the matress? Do I need to put it on top of tatami or is the wooden flooring ok too? Most of the futons on the pictures are either on beds (which would defeat the purpose) or are folded up, I'd like one that's on the floor and we can fold it up when we don't need it. We're both student's and working, so all those 120000\ premium sets are kind of out of the budget.
I would appreciate if someone could explain I need to know before buying, also maybe help me choose on from rakuten, because I can't seem to figure out which one would do the job.
I hope I managed to post in the right section.
Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Hello,
I'm Daniel from Hungary and I'm new to this forum, I registered in hope that someone would be able to help me here. Me and my girlfriend bought a small flat in the city, but we haven't really bought any furniture yet. I know she'd really like a japanese styled room with a kotatsu and futon, but I'm not really well versed in japanese culture, but I'd like to surprise her with a futon. As we have no room for a regular bed and we both dislike these foldable bed/sofa transformer abominations it would be ideal. I did some research on the internet and found out how it needs to be aired and cleaned and that I should probably buy one from rakuten. What I did find confusing is how they sell these, I tried searching futon and futon sets but not sure what futon means anymore, is it just that matress that's on top or is it the harder thing you put under the matress? Do I need to put it on top of tatami or is the wooden flooring ok too? Most of the futons on the pictures are either on beds (which would defeat the purpose) or are folded up, I'd like one that's on the floor and we can fold it up when we don't need it. We're both student's and working, so all those 120000\ premium sets are kind of out of the budget.
I would appreciate if someone could explain I need to know before buying, also maybe help me choose on from rakuten, because I can't seem to figure out which one would do the job.
I hope I managed to post in the right section.
Thanks in advance,
Daniel
the mattress can be called futon, or futon mattress, or shiki futon. Confusing, I know. Use the last word for best meaning. A type of sheet goes on that; it's called shiki. You sleep on those two. Over you is another sheet if needed and then the quilt called the futon. It is usually encased in a thin bag-like cover that is easy to wash. Any hard frames you imagine are the wooden things western people mistakenly call the futon, and I have never seen them here.

The upper futon is "kakebuton" and the lower is "shikibuton". 掛布団 and 敷布団

I really don't understand the interest to get futon from Japan. You could make something yourself that serves the same function. When I was a small child, my grandmother showed me how they used to make pallets on the floor for visiting relatives when there weren't enough beds for everyone. She made a quite cozy pallet bed for me out of extra blankets and I slept as well as I ever have in a futon. This as in the early 1970s and none of us had ever even heard of a futon.

A high-priced, top-quality genuine futon is probably going to give you a unique sleeping experience, but quite honestly the more economically priced ones have no advantage over a bunch of old blankets folded to make a pallet.

When I moved back to America from Japan, I had a futon made here.
If I remember correctly, I had it made 2 inches thick filled with cotton. I think the one I used in Japan was filled with wool, based on the scent it had when it was new.

My futon here is sufficient to my needs, and it is sufficiently close to the one I had in Japan that I really don't notice much difference.

I put my futon on a large rug over a hardwood floor or directly on carpet, depending on the situation.

It cost about $100 and was a custom job. I called the shop, and they made it within a couple of days.

Japanese futons are pretty much just thick blankets, and don't provide much loft or support on their own. They're meant to be used on a tatami mat floor, which provides a little extra give. They fold up very easily but unless you have something softer under it, I hope you don't mind super stiff sleeping surfaces. Western futons are more like stuffed mattresses without the spring, and are often sold with convertible couches.

I'd go somewhere in between, with a layer of memory foam and some extra padding made from wool or cotton, sewn into a washable sleeve. The materials can be pretty affordable, it'll be more comfortable than a Japanese futon, and it'll fold up and store away easier than a western-style mattress.

You know, in Japan we don't usually use futon without some kind of mat underneath it. We don't sleep in the futon that's laid it on the wooden floor.
Tatami is the most common mat in japan, (even though western style is getting more popular these days)
You can buy Tatami mat on our site called A-Janaika Japan! we're selling hand-made Japanese goods made by traditional craftsmen from all over Japan.
(link removed)
It is not a economically priced, but using Japanese Igusa straw costs a lot, you know..

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, in Japan we don't usually use futon without some kind of mat underneath it. We don't sleep in the futon that's laid it on the wooden floor.
Tatami is the most common mat in japan, (even though western style is getting more popular these days)
You can buy Tatami mat on our site called A-Janaika Japan! we're selling hand-made Japanese goods made by traditional craftsmen from all over Japan.
Tatami Mat | Explore your Essentials
It is not a economically priced, but using Japanese Igusa straw costs a lot, you know..

You just got done acknowledging to the site owner that you understand you can't advertise like this and then you do it anyway?!?!

You just got done acknowledging to the site owner that you understand you can't advertise like this and then you do it anyway?!?!
Wait! look at the time stamp, I posted this before I said I'd refrain from posting such message!

Wait! look at the time stamp, I posted this before I said I'd refrain from posting such message!

If all you're going to do here is spam us with your advertising then I wish you would just quietly bugger off already. You want to talk about time stamps? If you're so big on time stamps what were you doing advertising in a thread that died over 10 years ago?

Who can I call at your company to complain about your actions? What's your name?

Last edited:
If all you're going to do here is spam us with your advertising then I wish you would just quietly bugger off already.

Who can I call at your company to complain about your actions? What's your name?
Spamming wasn't my intention. I will "bugger off" if that's is in best interest of this forum.
My name is Hiro Kano, and I am ready to let you know of my company phone number , but not on this public forum.

Spamming wasn't my intention. I will "bugger off" if that's is in best interest of this forum.
My name is Hiro Kano, and I am ready to let you know of my company phone number , but not on this public forum.

Then PM it to me.

Spamming is the only thing possible you could have intended to do here. You had to be doing searches on terms that match products you sell or you wouldn't have been advertising tatami in a thread ten years dead. You can't pretend you were trying to be helpful and answering questions.

Why would anyone want to buy anything from a company so shady it can't let its phone number be known?

@AJJ, I removed all the links from your posts.
VI. Duplicate posts, bumping and necroposting

Do not post the same message more than once in a forum or on many forum sections. Duplicate posts will be deleted without warning. Reposting the same message repeatedly can be interpreted as spam and could result in receiving an infraction and in the worst case the loss of your membership.

Do not post to threads that have not been updated for many years, unless your post is relevant to this particular thread. Rather start a new thread and link to the old thread you want to refer to.

IX. Advertising and solicitation

Solicitation for commercial and charity-based organizations of any kind, without the written consent of Japan Reference (JREF), is strictly forbidden. Any solicitation activity through user-controlled content including, but not limited to user names, signatures, member profiles, and posts is strictly forbidden. This includes the posting of referral links ("affiliate programs").

Any violation of this rule will result in a permanent ban without warning. Content relating to commercial or charity-based organizations is only allowed when posting a legitimate reply to a question provided the user has no affiliation to the organization.

Non-commercial advertising is only allowed in specific fora. Self-promotion and advertising in other forum sections will be removed. We consider such unrelated messages as spam and will revoke your membership without prior announcement.

Please contact us prior to promoting your website, blog or a free application.
Forum Rules | Japan Forum

Back
Top Bottom