What's new

Travel From Tokyo to Mt. Fuji

lynn

Registered
11 Dec 2014
I'm going to visit Tokyo a few months from now and I'd like to visit Mt. Fuji. I noticed that Google Maps won't give me any public transport options, so I thought I'd ask here.

Is it best to get a railpass in advance, take a bus or rent a car?

The railpasses are only worth it if you are going to do a lot of travel (the JR pass also needs to be purchased outside the country). Otherwise, just get individual tickets, unless you're overlapping with some major local holiday you'll be fine.

Public transport is good, there's no need for a car (of course you can't get a train to the summit of Mt Fuji so google maps won't be much good there).

On the other thread you say you're going in April? That's well outside the climbing season. You might look at an area around the lake district just north of Fuji, for example you can get to Kawaguchiko station fairly easily from Tokyo. Some more information here:
Recommended Mt. Fuji and Lake Kawaguchi sightseeing itinerary | Mt. Fuji | Featured Destinations | JR-EAST

Or if you'd just like views there are various other popular tourist destinations.

Thank you both for your replies. I wasn't planning on hiking, but the lake district sounds like a very good destination. Bus seems like a very good choice. All your links are going to be very helpful - much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom