What's new

Free book offer for UK-based posters

nekojita

先輩
14 Jan 2009
I'm doing a clean-out, so offering these up for anyone who wants them, else I guess they'll go on ebay. UK only because I'm not so generous as to pay international postage rates. A mix of stuff I'm done reading, and stuff I picked up off ebay etc. that I turned out not to like /won't re-read.

First come, first served. This may get updated periodically as I convince myself to let go of more books, something I'm pretty bad at.

Bilingual
  • Read Real Japanese Fiction - minus the CD, I have no idea where I've put it. Bilingual book of the 'original Japanese on one page, translation + explanation on the other' type. Short stories by contemporary authors like Banana Yoshimoto.
Japanese-only
  • 逆光の女、by 北方謙三. Story about an author who finds out his ex-girlfriend was murdered. I thought it was going to be about him trying to find the killer but it's a bit disappointing on that front. Recommended if you like novels about fast cars and a lot of scenes set in bars.
  • B型のルール by 内川あ也 Non-fiction. Interesting if you want to learn about the whole blood type thing.
  • 愛のごとく(two volumes) by 渡辺淳一 I'm afraid didn't even finish the first because I found the protagonist/POV character so unlikeable. Story about a man having an affair who's worried his wife's found out about it.
Japanese-only, in translation
  • メタル・トレーダー a translation of Metal Men by A. Craig Copetas. Non-fiction about "the most wanted white-collar criminal in America".
  • 25時 a translation of "The 25th Hour" by David Benioff. Think this came as a freebie in a bunch of books I bought off Ebay, never touched it.

I'd be interested in the bilingual one and maybe the blood type one, do you have an idea of what level of difficulty they are?

(I know my flag says Germany but I also have an address in the UK)

Bilingual one is heavily furigana'ed, e.g. in these two lines from the opening of one of the stories, every kanji word has furigana.

「わたし、寝たくないの」
駄々っ子のよう嫌々をしながら、美都子がいう。
The stories are a mix of modern short fiction aimed at adults but they have been picked to give a range of styles.

The blood-type one has pretty much zero furigana, here's a random sample from the start of one of many chapters:
とにかく好奇心が旺盛。やりたい仕事を次々見つけてくるのがB型の表キャラです。どこからビビッと天啓を受信したら、電光石火の早業でやりたい仕事に向かってアクションを起こすでしょう。

I'm going to be away on holiday from this Saturday so things might not get sent out until April.

They seem interesting, I'd happy to take both. You can contact me at my gmail "girlygirltypist", obviously don't want to post my personal info here.

Anyway no rush, have a good trip :)

Back
Top Bottom