What's new

Financial advisor in Tokyo

Lothor

Freelance proofreader
Donor
26 Sep 2015
Can anyone recommend a financial advisor in Tokyo, preferably English speaker but not essential?
Thanks.

Clipped from reddit:

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 9.07.33.png

Also, browse/ask at www.retirejapan.com -- especially the forum there.

Thanks JohnnyG. Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, it's more taxation advice that I'm after.

Thanks very much. I've actually managed to sort out the current problem on my own but I can see a situation in future where I might need someone.

Fees | KAORI FUCHI Tax and Consulting

This person offers tax consulting in English. Her fees are ¥30,000 per hour so you'd better speak quick and make sure you can minimise your taxes enough to make it worthwhile.

If you do use her or someone else please report back with your 'user review'

I can now report back!

Negative - Considering that they are advertising an English speaking service, I was disappointed with the fluency of the person who
assisted me. It took her rather a long time to get to grips with the problem I had despite it being relatively simple (a single
person with an income tax problem rather than a company). Had I not had a reasonable understanding of Japanese and a lot of contextual
understanding, even more of the hour would have been spent in this way.

Positive - Once she understood the problem, she was very efficient and created a couple of forms for me that I could take to the
tax office to make things much easier next time I file, which could have taken a long time to find out, understand and complete
with my Japanese ability. In short, I got my money's worth.

She also checked at the end whether I had any other questions (I did have a few minor quickly answered ones on different topics),
which she answered authoritatively.

She also soon followed up on her promise to send me various other useful documents and links via email, which arrived a couple
of hours after the meeting.

Friendly and approachable. After having a few bad experiences with people in Japan recently, I got the impression that they
were the good guys.

¥120,000 for a basic tax return?!?? (and I have some add-ons, so it would be more)

I guess I'll just divide that by the hours that I just spent at the tax office and treat my wife to a half dozen or so really nice dinners.

I shouldn't let my wife see this, otherwise she might get some ideas too... ;)

Actually, she encouraged me to try and do the tax return myself at the tax office as a self-employed person the following year, provided that I document and can convincingly explain all expenses. With my erratic (and occasionally deliberately selective) understanding of Japanese, I've found that authorities are happy to wave me through to save time and trouble!

Back
Top Bottom