What's new

Field of Study - MEXT program research proposal. Fine Arts

nurdinmusaev

Registered
4 Jun 2015
Hey guys, DOMO! ;) This year i am applying to the MEXT program as research student.
I have only ONE month to deadline!
Graduated Academy of Fine Arts - oil painting department. Really dreaming study Fine Arts in JP!
Did anyone have passed exams to University of Arts?
And what kind of value Research Proposal i can do as Artist?! :bored:

While I am not a Fine Arts student, I am very interested in the process involved for this field.

Would love to learn more.

@nurdinmusaev Did you find anything else out? Did you apply?

This forum is lacking in info for Fine Arts/Design candidates, so I was hoping you might update us on your experience.

Thanks and sorry for the double post.

@nurdinmusaev Did you find anything else out? Did you apply?

This forum is lacking in info for Fine Arts/Design candidates, so I was hoping you might update us on your experience.

Thanks and sorry for the double post.

I applied through MEXT Embassy Recommendation and got an interview (one of three people selected for interview) at the Houston consulate. Only one person can get the scholarship, though, and it went to someone whose proposal revolved around studying language/linguistics/something like that (I didn't ask in depth).

I think it's pretty hard to get MEXT for fine arts, but not impossible. I believe my odds at having gotten the scholarship would have been bumped greatly if I spoke/read Japanese at a higher level.

My stats:

3.8 GPA, Studio Arts/Art History double major, 5 years real world experience (working as a designer), 2 very strong letters of recommendation, and my research proposal focused on studying how art forms (painting, ceramics, sculpture, architecture) are translated from the United States (where I live) to Japan and vice versa.

My interview:

The interview panel seemed to like my proposal, but I faced lots of ちょっと...and teeth-sucking when we discussed that I had not studied Japanese before now. There was obvious concern that I wouldn't do well at a Japanese university without knowing the language. Another point of contention, however -- I have my heart set on Keio University and it was my only choice in my application. They didn't understand my reasoning and questioned it for a good 5-10 minutes -- "why only Keio? You're putting all your eggs in one basket. Isn't that a bad idea? What if you don't get accepted? Have you been discussing your research idea with a professor there already?" etc, etc.

Current status:

I received my rejection from MEXT about a week after the interview. I went onto get accepted into Keio's Media Design Master's program in October and I'm now exploring MEXT University Recommendation and other scholarship opportunities.

hey all the best with the University recommendation have you contacted any supervisors at keio? ,im also aiming for the Media design program at Keio one day though my background is in Architecture so i slide a bit more to the engineering side of things

Hey guys, DOMO! ;) This year i am applying to the MEXT program as research student.
I have only ONE month to deadline!
Graduated Academy of Fine Arts - oil painting department. Really dreaming study Fine Arts in JP!
Did anyone have passed exams to University of Arts?
And what kind of value Research Proposal i can do as Artist?! :bored:
Hey,
I am also going to apply for Mext in the field of fine arts- Oil painting next year. Can you suggest me how should I do the whole process like what should my research be, how to write a research proposal, good fine art or art universities, and especially how to contact the professors because at some University websites i can't find their emails.

Back
Top Bottom