What's new

Few questions about japanese mentality

Marissa

Registered
28 May 2016
Could I ask any Japanese of this forum to fill an survey for me? Its only 10 one-choice question. I need them for my master thesis. It's anonymous, neither gender nor age matters. I would be very grateful:)

1. How often do you do a selfless favor for someone?

a)When only there is a chance to do so,
b) Sometimes
c) Hardly ever
d) I don't

2. Would you say that social hierarchy can be observed, not only in society itself, but also in its structural units e.g. in family relations, at school, at work etc. ? How great is its influence on everyday life?
a)It's easily spottedin all aspects of life and has a great influence on everyday life
b)Social hierarchy can be observed in all aspects of everyday life, but has a significant influence only on those on the very top or the very bottom of a social ladder.
c) Social hierarchy can be observed in all aspects of life, but its influence is not significant.
d) Social hierarchy is associated only with work and business relations.
e) Social hierarchy does not have any influence on people's everyday lives

3. How would you react if you were harassed by someone whostoodhigher on social/business ladder than you?
a) I wouldn't react at all. There is nothing I could possibly do in that situation
b) I wouldn't react at first, but later I would definitely wrote a complaint
c) I would try to defend myself as politely as possible
d) It doesn't matter if that someone stands higher or lower than me on social/business ladder, I would defend myself

4. Do you think it's important for foreigners staying in yours country to follow its customs?
a) Yes, it's really important to show respect towards country customs. "Where in Rome do as the Romans do".
b) It would be much welcomed, but it's not necessary
c) I don't think is obligatory. A foreigner from another culture may follow different customs.

5. Can you say that you often speak outright what is on your mind?
a) Definitely yes
b) Probably yes, but sometimes I find it more convenient to express myself more indirectly.
c) Not really

6. Would you feel any discomfort if it turned out that your business partner/ future boss is a woman?
a) no, it wouldn't matter for me at all
b) no, but I would prefer having business contacts with men if I had a choice
c) yes, but I would try not to show my personal view
d) yes, it would be a huge discomfort for me, because......................................................

7. How important is your work for you?
a) Its very important and it defines me
b) It's really important, but still its only a way of getting money for a real life
c) I don't really care where I work or what I do. The less I work and the more I earn, the better it is for me
d) It's a necessary and unavoidable evil

8. How often do you swear?
a) Not at all
b) Only if I'm really mad
c) Hardly ever
d) Quite often
e) All the time

9. Do you keep your finger on the pulse of political news?
a) No, not really
b) Only when it concerns my country
c) Yes, I do

10. Can you call yourself a religious person?
a) Yes, religion is really important for me
b) It has a place in my life
c) I respect religious people, but I cannot consider myself one of them
d) No, not really

Well, it's one of two surveys (second one is for Russians) and it's only for the last, the 6th chapter, not main source of information;)

Could I ask any Japanese of this forum to fill an survey for me? Its only 10 one-choice question. I need them for my master thesis. It's anonymous, neither gender nor age matters. I would be very grateful:)

1. How often do you do a selfless favor for someone?

a)When only there is a chance to do so,
b) Sometimes
c) Hardly ever
d) I don't

2. Would you say that social hierarchy can be observed, not only in society itself, but also in its structural units e.g. in family relations, at school, at work etc. ? How great is its influence on everyday life?
a)It's easily spottedin all aspects of life and has a great influence on everyday life
b)Social hierarchy can be observed in all aspects of everyday life, but has a significant influence only on those on the very top or the very bottom of a social ladder.
c) Social hierarchy can be observed in all aspects of life, but its influence is not significant.
d) Social hierarchy is associated only with work and business relations.
e) Social hierarchy does not have any influence on people's everyday lives

3. How would you react if you were harassed by someone whostoodhigher on social/business ladder than you?
a) I wouldn't react at all. There is nothing I could possibly do in that situation
b) I wouldn't react at first, but later I would definitely wrote a complaint
c) I would try to defend myself as politely as possible
d) It doesn't matter if that someone stands higher or lower than me on social/business ladder, I would defend myself

4. Do you think it's important for foreigners staying in yours country to follow its customs?
a) Yes, it's really important to show respect towards country customs. "Where in Rome do as the Romans do".
b) It would be much welcomed, but it's not necessary
c) I don't think is obligatory. A foreigner from another culture may follow different customs.

5. Can you say that you often speak outright what is on your mind?
a) Definitely yes
b) Probably yes, but sometimes I find it more convenient to express myself more indirectly.
c) Not really

6. Would you feel any discomfort if it turned out that your business partner/ future boss is a woman?
a) no, it wouldn't matter for me at all
b) no, but I would prefer having business contacts with men if I had a choice
c) yes, but I would try not to show my personal view
d) yes, it would be a huge discomfort for me, because......................................................

7. How important is your work for you?
a) Its very important and it defines me
b) It's really important, but still its only a way of getting money for a real life
c) I don't really care where I work or what I do. The less I work and the more I earn, the better it is for me
d) It's a necessary and unavoidable evil

8. How often do you swear?
a) Not at all
b) Only if I'm really mad
c) Hardly ever
d) Quite often
e) All the time

9. Do you keep your finger on the pulse of political news?
a) No, not really
b) Only when it concerns my country
c) Yes, I do

10. Can you call yourself a religious person?
a) Yes, religion is really important for me
b) It has a place in my life
c) I respect religious people, but I cannot consider myself one of them
d) No, not really
Stupid survey, 10 questions are sure to get the best meaningful results!

I won't be so blunt as to call your survey "stupid", but I would like to point out some flaws in it.

You should use something like Survey Monkey, so it can be distributed more easily and so the data can be compiled automatically.
Some of your questions have run-on words (e.g., Q.3: "whostoodhigher").
Some of the suggested answers are identical in meaning or could be perceived that way. Question 4 is a good example (b and c feel the same).
Questions like 9 use an expression (on the pulse of) that may not be understood by Japanese, even those who can read English.
Likert ranking would be better than some of the worded responses you want people to use.
You are surveying a discussion forum that caters mostly to non-Japanese. How are you going to know who actually replied?
Even if a Japanese on this site answered, you would be getting results from a select group of people, those who can read English well. The survey should really be translated into Japanese (and piloted first).

Back
Top Bottom