What's new

FAQ Feature requests

Although I am not bad at math I a question such as I have 2 teriyaki maki's and give one to my dog, how many are left easier than the 16 and 22 then minus 5 from both... question ;) I'm sure you know what I mean.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this (if not, please move it to an appropriate one!). I'm using Firefox (17.0.2) and when the browser is not full screen mode, the layout of this forum becomes messed, and I cannot pull down the "quick links" because when the cursor is placed there, "gallery" appears and "quick links" is overlaid. Is there any solution?

I confirm this behaviour in case the browser window is significantly resized.

style-overlay.jpg

What screen resolution do you usually use, Undrentide-san?

For the time being I suggest you switch to the old style (JREF Red+) which can still be selected (but will no longer be maintained) in the style drop-down at the bottom of each forum page. I will add a mobile style in the coming days that should solve the problem of minimized browser windows.

Thanks again for reporting this! And by the way: the latest version of Firefox is 32.0.2. ;-)

Thank you Thomas for quick reply!
In fact I sometimes check out JREF forum during my coffee breaks at work.
I'm hesitant to open it full-screen (as two bosses are sitting behind me!) so I tend to keep the window quite small, like 20x10(cm). After posting, I realised that if I expand the width a little further, I can avoid this "gallery" button is cascading over the "quick links" problem.
Thank you for offering a practical solution, I did not know that I can switch it back to the old one.
(I want to update Firefox but PC at work and its programmes are rather strictly controlled by our IT team...)

For heaven's sake, read the Announcement Forum! I feel like a broken record.

-> Upgrade to Xenforo

This thread is not meant to report glitches, but to suggest features.

Considering all the requests we get for translations of Japanese flags (wartime flags, in particular), maybe we ought to make a sticky post about flags, slogans, and fakes. In the flag posts of the past year we've had some good posts that are pretty informative, including:
posts with good examples of what look like genuine flags
posts with extensive lists of Japanese slogans and their English translations
posts with good examples of fake flags
posts with good general info about purpose or custom behind the flags
Might be very helpful to people to consolidate/synthesize these into one sticky post so we don't have to keep cross-referring. I can help if you need any of the above tracked down/identified.

Excellent suggestion, and your offer to assist in compiling relevant info is more than welcome. Thank you!

Looking for a way to bookmark threads within the forum not browser. Often times i want to "bookmark" threads i find useful to extent that i'll want to refer to them occasionally. It's troublesome to try to find a specific thread using search function, and i don't want to clutter my already cluttered browser bookmarks any further. So is there an intra-forum "bookmarks" or "favourites" function?

You can watch threads and fora and receive email notifications whenever they are updated. You can access your Watched Threads and Watched Fora in the top menu.

Alright. "Watched threads" function serves my purposes well. I only wish there was a way to configure it so that it shows the list of all watched threads by default (as opposed to threads with unread messages only) Switching it manually every time would be frustrating .

The number of watched threads could be quite extensive, so most users would probably prefer to see unread posts only in watched threads. I'll see if there is a bookmark add-on available, the top menu however is already quite cluttered as it is.

Anyhow, thank you for your suggestion! :)

Doesn't look too cluttered at my 1920x1080 display but i imagine it does on other not-so-wide devices.

Just a little heads-up: I might have a surprise for you shortly. Watch this space. ;)

Since every other translation request by forum guests features an upside-down photo (a 90° or 270° rotated photo in rare cases), and it is quite burdensome to download the image to rotate it (not to mention trying to read it as is, risking to snap one's neck in the process) , i believe a built-in way to rotate attached images could save us a lot of effort.

Since every other translation request by forum guests features an upside-down photo (a 90° or 270° rotated photo in rare cases), and it is quite burdensome to download the image to rotate it (not to mention trying to read it as is, risking to snap one's neck in the process) , i believe a built-in way to rotate attached images could save us a lot of effort.

Thanks for the suggestion! I guess I will have to tinker with our PHP setup, but cannot promise anything.

What grinds my gears much more are users uploading attachments of up to 2MB and 4000x3000px in size. I have now restricted attachments to a maximum size of 1600x1200px.

What grinds my gears much more are users uploading attachments of up to 2MB and 4000x3000px in size. I have now restricted attachments to a maximum size of 1600x1200px.
Well that's understandable. Most people would simply snap a shot with camera's default setting and upload it right away without bothering to decrease the size of it.

think some information from the FAQ threads could do with being placed in "account information".
like i spent far longer than i care to admit trying to find the private conversation requirements (5 posts).
if i remember right, new users are directed to the FAQ threads which had the information i needed but i was expecting to find the information under "account information" or "profile"
even a link to FAQ regarding new users would go a long way i think.

i don't know what the technical term for this is but maybe a "float your cursor over an icon until relevant information appears" feature could be implemented and it would show like the levels (registered user, kouhai, sempai and so on), how to achieve the levels and what permissions and features come with said levels.

Last edited:
I appreciate your feedback! A link to the FAQ section from the user profiles shouldn't pose a problem. Splendid idea.

Your other suggestion refers to what Xenforo calls "tooltips", basically onMouseOver effects. We do not use many of them because they do not really work on mobile devices (most of our users access the site via mobile phones and tablets).

Thank you again for the suggestions! High time to check our FAQs and see if they require any updates. :)

I have added a link to the FAQs as pictured below. Was it this what you meant?

account-details.jpg

think some information from the FAQ threads could do with being placed in "account information".
like i spent far longer than i care to admit trying to find the private conversation requirements (5 posts).
if i remember right, new users are directed to the FAQ threads which had the information i needed but i was expecting to find the information under "account information" or "profile"
even a link to FAQ regarding new users would go a long way i think.

i don't know what the technical term for this is but maybe a "float your cursor over an icon until relevant information appears" feature could be implemented and it would show like the levels (registered user, kouhai, sempai and so on), how to achieve the levels and what permissions and features come with said levels.
Thanks for taking the time to make these suggestions. This has tripped up new users many times. They may need help or want to message somebody for legitimate reasons but can't due to this limitation. Unfortunately I don't think we can remove it because we get more spammers than legitimate new users.

Back
Top Bottom