What's new

Expressing surprise about an (undeserved) offer

lanthas

27 Apr 2014
One of the 実況プレイ guys that I follow on Youtube has recently started doing livestreams. Of course, with me living in Western Europe with full-time work I have no chance of catching them live, so I watch the recordings afterwards. Recently I posted a comment on such a video just to say that I enjoyed it and will continue watching future recordings (rather than livestreams) due to the time difference.

The next day he actually replied, and his response baffled me - in a positive way:
なんと!時差が、もし見れそうな機会があれば放送時よろしくお願いします。
He's asking me to suggest a suitable (for me) broadcast time to him? To be frank I didn't mention yet just how big the time difference is, but still, I wasn't expecting this!

Of course I couldn't possibly ask him to change his schedule for a single overseas viewer and thereby inconvenience his existing Japanese viewers. I'd like to express as such but am having trouble finding the right words:

<Thank you for the (surprising) kind offer, but you really don't have to go that far!> そもそも日本との時差が7時間で随分高いので大体無理ですね^^。お気遣いなく生放送をこのまま続けてください。

Any suggestions for the English part to be translated, as well as corrections/improvements in the Japanese part, are welcome.

He's not offering to change the live broadcast time, he's just inviting you to watch it should you ever get the chance.

No, I don't think that's what he's saying. I agree it's confusing because that speech pattern is often used to make requests. But I'd translate this into American English something like:
Oh bummer! Time difference... Well I hope you have an opportunity to catch it live. Thanks.

Of course this is not straight translation. Literally it would be more like:
What! Time difference... if you get an opportunity to see it live, thank you in advance.
(As I'm sure you know, there is no great way to translate よろしくお願いします。)

Notice that it's 放送時, and not 放送時間. He is asking you to watch the livestream and post a comment also on it if you have a chance to do it, as already pointed out.
I would say 日本との時差が7時間と随分大きいのでかなり難しそうですが、機会があれば是非。

I think we (Toritoribe, mdchachi, me) all have the same morning routine... Wake up, make some coffee, surf JREF.

I see, looks like the left out particles threw me off - 放送(の)時(に、視聴・コメントを)お願いします instead of 放送時(間を)お願いします. Or rather, apparently 時 can also be used as a "どき" suffix. Avoided a very confusing conversation there... Thank you all.

I would say 日本との時差が7時間随分大きいのでかなり難しそうですが、機会があれば是非。
I haven't seen と used like this before - can you tell me its function? (presumably it's listed on goo辞典, but I don't see which one is the right one)

I think we (Toritoribe, mdchachi, me) all have the same morning routine... Wake up, make some coffee, surf JREF.
Same here, same here :)

Last edited:
There is no の left out of 放送時 (ほうそうじ)

The と is "and"

日本と(あなたの国(と))の時差

Last edited:
He is talking about the second と, which is in bold (but indeed hard to recognize).;)

I haven't seen と used like this before - can you tell me its function? (presumably it's listed on goo辞典, but I don't see which one is the right one)
と is for quotation, something like 日本との時差が7時間(ある)と(いう具合に)ずいぶん大きい。
e.g.
明日の研修旅行は集合時間が朝5時とずいぶん早い。
彼の家は敷地面積がわずか20坪とずいぶん狭い。
家と会社の距離が50キロとずいぶん遠いので、通勤には不便だ。

Danged near impossible to see on my display, but I am heartened to learn he wasn't asking about the first one.

Back
Top Bottom