What's new

Exercise for Polestar II Lesson 1 Part 1 (2nd)

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
I'm afraid I have to make a new exercise almost every day. What a shame!

I'd appreciate it if anyone would check this again.

1 次の文を日本語にしなさい。
④A high level of radiation was detected in this area.
(radiation =放射線 detect =検出する area =地域)

2 本文とPractice 3の英文を参考にし、[ ]の条件で英語に訳しなさい。
①2015年に行われた調査では、日本がドイツと首位を分けた。[survey, carry, share, number one spot を用いて]
In the survey carried out in 2015, Japan shared the number one spot with Germany.

②英国放送協会は、毎年12月にこの調査を行っている。[out, thisを用いて8語で]
The BBC carries out this survey every December.

③私は日本以外に住んだことが一度もありません。[never, live, outsideを用いて6語で]
I have never lived outside Japan.

④この政治家は、いつも、その一覧表の首位かそれに近いところにいる。[this, top, near list を用いて12語で]
This politician is always at or near the top of the list.

⑤ヨーロッパの人達は、日本について、いい評価をしている。[live, positive view を用いて9語で]
People in Europe have a positive view of Japan.

⑥その調査では、どこの国(複数)が、世界の他の国に対して悪い影響を与えているかを尋ねた。[the surveyで始め, negative influence, rest を用いて15語で]
The survey asked what countries have a negative influence on the rest of the world.

⑦彼らは、日本を、安全で平和な国だと見ている(/思っている)。[see, peaceful を用いて9語で]
They see Japan as a safe and peaceful country.

⑧私は、この家を、外国から来た何人かの人達と一緒に使っている。[share, fromを用いて9語で]
I share this house with some people from abroad.

⑨日本の外にいる多くの人は、日本(→その国)に対して好意的な見方をしている。[outside, favorable view, the country を用いて11語で]
Many people outside Japan have a favorable view of the country. (同じ文の中で同じ名詞= Japanは二回使わないのがいい)

⑩彼らは、日本が、高いレベルの教育を持つ国だと思っている。[see, level, withを用いて12語で]
They see Japan as a country with a high level of education.

⑪私は、マイクが一流のバレーボール選手だと思っている。[believe, first-class を用いて8語で]
I believe Mike is a first-class volleyball player.

Many thanks in advance.
Hirashin

I share this house with some people from abroad.

I would say "with people from a few different countries". "abroad" sound too formal and serious

I believe Mike is a first-class volleyball player.

Just put "I think..." It's not serious enough to warrant "believe"

Thank you for your ongoing help, Michael2.

I would say "with people from a few different countries". "abroad" sound too formal and serious

Oh, that's too difficult for my students.
How about this, instead?
I share this house with people from China and Korea.

believe Mike is a first-class volleyball player.

Just put "I think..." It's not serious enough to warrant "believe"

How about this then?
I believe you two have met already.

Do you think this is also not serious to warrant "believe"?

No, that would be fine. You would use believe if you are talking about something you think is true but are not sure about, so "I believe you two have met already," makes sense. "I believe Mike is a first-class volleyball player." is just your opinion, so "I think ....." is correct.

I wish I could do that. But I am told to use the textbooks the school designated. So I have to make new exercises including the new words and phrases the textbooks show. (Do I make sense?) Although there are some exercises made by the textbook publishers, they are a little too difficult for my students. If I used them instead of mine, not a few students would be in trouble. I hope every student will enjoy learning English instead of suffering from the language. (Would you please correct my English if needed?)

...I am told to use the textbooks the school designated. So I have to make new exercises... exercises made by the textbook publishers ... are a little too difficult ...

1) simplify the exercises from the publishers, instead of starting over.

2) use those publisher exercises, but instead of simplifying, add enough easier exercises to adjust the overall level.

3) same as 2, but remove the hardest questions (or separate them for "extra credit").

4) start an online group with teachers who you know are using the same book(s)**. Share your materials and invite others to do the same. Depending on how many teachers there are, work in pairs and rotate--one pair does exercises for Polestar II Lesson 1 Part 1, the next pair works on Part 2, etc.

5) send this group/collaborative work to the Polestar publisher, and ask them to distribute a link to it to the teachers using the book. OR, do this on your own, with other teachers in your prefecture/city.

** Use google docs to share. You and a partner can edit, and share with others. Others can collaborate (co-edit) and share with you (and others).

If the same book is used the following year, everyone will have a head start. The second year you all could add to and enhance what you'd done the first time.

Also, I think it is pretty easy to set up a "sub" on Reddit, for discussion--you, and other teachers using Polestar. These "subs" can be relatively private--by invitation only, posts can be 'moderated' (only visible after being approved), etc.

And so on...! :emoji_blush:

There are other teachers out there that feel the same as you do, and who are also working on their own exercises (I hope!). All of you need to get connected and start sharing.

Last edited:
Thank you, johnnyG. I appreciate your advice. I'll think it over and try a simplified way to make exercise sheets.

Back
Top Bottom