What's new

Entry level non-teaching jobs for foreigners?

jielong

Registered
13 Oct 2015
Are there many opportunities out there? I'm guessing probably not but I think it's still worth asking about.

I'm from the UK, recently graduated from a university in Taiwan (Degree was Chinese for International Students), I passed the N3 in July and am currently looking for work back in the UK.

I did tutor English occasionaly while in Taiwan and to keep it short it's not really something I want to do again, I feel like I would enjoy teaching Chinese(Mandarin) more but I don't think anyone in Japan would want to employ a westerner to teach Chinese regardless of ability.

I'm assuming without having the N1/N2 or something similar will mean little chance of getting a non English-teaching job over there, but maybe someone here has experience/knows something/ knows some foreign companies there that will take on graduates that aren't fluent in Japanese?

If not then I'll just keep on looking for a decent job over here and thanks anyway for taking the time to read this.

I think the Recruitment sector is the easiest sector to get a foot in the door without N2 level Japanese. Judging by the number of published vacancies this is either a booming industry or an industry where many people quit/get fired quite soon.

If you are already at N3 level, you could also study for 6 months to a year more to pass N2 level, and then I imagine you would have more opportunities. if this is N3 Japanese and not N3 Mandarin (if that exists) of course.

I plan to get my foot in the door as an ALT at frist and you be surprised at the amounts of openibgs thruout Japan I seen, however you must be residing so I learned getting in on a work visa you have the chance to look for work at anytime. I'll post the job site here when I can I know its Gajinbroad something off the bat, if you can google it take a look and you see recruiting for yourself :)

No offense, but it doesn't' sound like you have much to bring to the bargaining table. Internship?

A Japanese company with branches in a Chinese speaking locale might be interested in you - not a bad plan if you wanted to get some experience in an international business environment (e.g. office that is primarily English/Chinese where Japanese skills are a plus rather than a requirement).

Or similarly, look for something in the UK where your Chinese skills will get you in the door, but keep working on your Japanese. Something where you're using your language skills in the job (e.g. dealing with overseas divisions of the company or foreign customers) would be a plus - then it's not just 'I speak these languages' but 'I speak these languages and understand the cultural issues in doing business with Chinese companies' which is a much stronger skill-set.

A Japanese company with branches in a Chinese speaking locale might be interested in you
I'm nt so optimistic because of his poor ability to communicate with the home office staff. Japan is not known for training or helping to train people with foreign languages, let alone Japanese.

I would echo Nekojita's advice .... also think about looking into work opportunities in Hong Kong and Singapore. There are a lot of Japanese companies there and hundreds of others who do business with Japan. If you land a job there, you can forge a career path that could allow you to work and live in Japan (if that is your goal). Focus hard on learning Japanese.

Have you looked into a working holiday visa? It wouldn't guaranty a non-English teaching job, but may help.

Back
Top Bottom