What's new

Travel News Enjoy Onsen in Beppu

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
The city of Beppu has launched an English-language website promoting hot springs tours to foreign visitors. Oita Prefecture has seen a 2.4-fold increase in foreign tourists between 2013 and 2017, but most of them are Asians travellers on package tours. Hoping to attract more individual visitors from Europe, North America and Australia, Beppu started

Enjoy Onsen - Japan hot spring "Beppu"

enjoyonsen.jpg

Source: Beppu launches English-language onsen website in the hopes of attracting more foreign tourists ahead of 2020 Tokyo Olympics | The Japan Times

Thanks for posting. I wonder if the roads and rail system have been fixed yet. I intend to go to Kunisaki for some sightseeing and camping. I understand that the roads around Moji needed some work, might be wrong on that, but it was mention the traffic is/was horrible after all the rains a month ago.
Kunisaki Peninsula Travel Guide

Bought back some memories. I took a trip there in 1971 with my new girlfriend and 4 of her girlfriends. I spoke very little Japanese then so it was a fun and interesting trip.

It's a good find @thomas thanks.

As with most websites produced by local tourism authorities here, it's not spectacularly wonderful. However it's not too bad either. It's a pity they didn't find some local English teacher to proof-read the copy though. I'm also a bit curious why the background music used for the video is an Irish jig ...

Some of our clients who visited (we run a small Kyushu travel agency) have expressed disappointment. You definitely couldn't call it sophisticated. It's much more cheap and cheerful (Brits: think Blackpool). However as long as you know what you're going to get Beppu can be a great place. Hard-core onsen connoisseurs love it. The volume of water, the number of different onsen and most importantly the different properties of the water make it unmissable on the onsen trail. Whatever your ailment you're sure to find a specific bath there that claims to cure it. It also has lots of fun activities for kids around that area.

Anyway, it's great to see at least they are on the ball producing these English-language websites and video.

It should get an influx of visitors next year for the Rugby World Cup. Some of the matches will be played nearby and the All Blacks will have one of their camps in Beppu - presumably the long soaks will be good for all those muscle aches and strains.

Beppu most definitely is any onsen lover's paradise. A lot of private homes do have their own onsen, it's insane. :)

I remember Yufuin - just up the hill - was a wonderfully relaxing place to stay at, too. They have some of the best onsen I have ever seen in Japan. I couldn't get the sulfur smell out of my clothes and hair for several days. :emoji_blush:

Yes, we're blessed with onsen here in Kyushu. I've been suffering withdrawal symptoms because after a knee operation my doc forbid onsen for 1 year. When I asked him why he said he didn't know but a respecter doctor has said so. Very Japanese I thought ...

That's definitely a must try! I guess Jozankei-onsen, Atami Onsen, and Shuzenji Onsen is also worth to visit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom