What's new

Emoticon(?) "w," "ww," "www"

Hike.the.PCT

Registered
23 Nov 2015
おせわになりました。

I did a Search on this site and couldn't find a relevant answer, so my question is the following:
As part of my independent study of Japanese I watch lots of Japanese language youtube vlogs, and fairly often I see w or ww or, especially, www, added to comments posted (in Japanese), and when they do appear, it's almost always at the end of the posts. IRC, I've seen these elsewhere on blogs like OK Wave as well.

I had been thinking for quite some time that these "w" things were due to miscoding(?) by my browser, but now I'm thinking they're either actual emoticons or something similar.

Could someone set me straight on this question?

w stands for "warau" (わらう/笑う) which is a Japanese verb "to laugh". Often times the kanji 笑 is used instead of w. Treat "w" as you would "lol"

You may also encounter people commenting 草生える or 草不可避 when they find something particularly funny. This is in reference to a row of w's looking like a series of grass strands.

w stands for "warau" (わらう/笑う) which is a Japanese verb "to laugh". Often times the kanji 笑 is used instead of w. Treat "w" as you would "lol"
Excellent. Brand new info to me. Now I know my browser's not flaking out. ━(゚∀゚)━
I wrote those expressions on my vocabulary list for today, and I'll memorize them.
Thanks!
It took me 10 years to finally learn the kanji, so I recognize them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that it's also sometimes used as derision.
Thanks!
Since it's Japanese, I want to make sure I stay polite, so I am wondering if are you referring to the w(s), or 草生える, or 草不可避, or 笑, or some of them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom