What's new

eMail to my Japanese Teacher - Help!

mcball

Registered
25 Jul 2014
Hi All,

I am new to Japanese, and was hoping for some help replying to an email I received from my teacher. I recently missed a couple classes because of a trip to Japan, and in his email he asked me a few simple things, so just wanted to reply back with some basic things about my trip.

Basically the english equivalent would be:

Hi oo sensei,

Thank you for the email. Japan was very fun. The weather was hot. While I was in Nikko I often ate fish for breakfast. The fish was good, but it was a little weird because in America we eat sweet things for breakfast. Here is what I have:

こにちは おつか先生、

電メールをありがとうございます。
日本はとても楽しかったです。天気は ちょとう あつ かったです。
日光にいるのとけいは 私たしは あさごはんに よく さかなを食べました。
それは おいしい さかなでした、でも 朝ごはんに アメリカで よく あまい物 を食べたの で ちょとう 変なかったです。

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

ちょっと not ちょとう

とけい means "clock"

Past tense of 変 is 変だった not 変なかった

Thanks Mike,

I was under then impression (maybe wrongly apparently) that you could use とけい in that way to refer to a specific time, such as "at the time I was in Nikko".

Just a beginner so no familiar with a good structure to get across "while I was somewhere, something happened". Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it!

にちは

それ is "that," as in, closer proximity to the listener than the speaker. Since you're both removed from the fish, I'd use あれ/あの:
あれはおいしいさかなでした that was tasty fish
あのさかながおいしかったです that fish was tasty

Nice Gaijin,

Yah, good catch on the あの/あれ

Think I will go with the:
あのさかながおいしかったです。

Thank you for the help!

Can I recommend that you send what you write without help so that your teacher is able to judge where he or she needs to remediate your skills?

Back
Top Bottom