後輩
9 Jan 2014
Hi,

I'm trying to translate this text:

おまえその顔 おまえをしんじてる
思い出すさ あのとき彼女が言った言葉を

悔しいいつも口はしない 孤独に耐えた 勇ましい足取り
あなたを信じてる 信じている

I'm not english native, but Spanish, so feel free to correct my english as well. This is my translation so far:

That face of yours, believe in yourself
remember her words

Frustration doesn't always comes from your mouth
<i don't know how to translate this> I believe in you, i really do ***
------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, now my doubts:

What's the difference between 信じて and 信じてる? Besides, あなたを信じてる could mean either "i believe in you" and "believe in yourself", isnt?

I know 孤独に耐えた means bearing/endure loneliness, and 勇ましい足取り brave gait. But i don't know how to put in better words.

That's all. Thanks in advance.

信じてる is the -ている form of this verb. That shows that the action is ongoing. あなたを信じて I believe (in) you あなたを信じてる I believe (in) you (action ongoing). Not sure on the other question.

I see, i just get confused because it's written teru instead teiru.

Thanks.

There are other verbs with the -ている form that follow this pattern. 待ってる, 集めてる. I'm not sure but it could only be an inflection of the -ている form rather than a separate thing itself, as you have 待っている and 集めている.

Indeed, -てる is just a contraction of -ている that can be used with any verb. See also:
-ていた -> -てた
-ていて -> -てて
-ておく -> -とく

Where is the text from? Is it part of a song?

Where is the text from? Is it part of a song?

I dunno, i just was trying to subit a lyric on AnimeLyrics and then the page said that i need to pass a test.
firefox_2016-06-02_22-00-46.png

I googled part of the text and i found some blogs talking about it, but i dont get if it's a song or whatever.

Ah, so it's 悔しさはいつも, not 悔しいいつも.

I'm guessing this is a song they made up specifically for the test - if it were a real one, it would've probably already been translated somewhere allowing you to copy-paste a solution.

Essentially you're asking us to help you cheat then... :)

No, i don't. Because i already made my translation. I just wanna know if i did it fine.

And yeah, i wrote it wrong. Sorry.

To answer your question from the first post: あなた/おまえを信じてる is a statement, not a request/command. It means "I believe in you" (or maybe "She believes in you"), not "Believe in yourself". That would be 自分を信じて, or better, (自分に)自信を持って.

In 思い出すさ, さ is a softer/more casual form of よ, and 思い出す is (again) a statement. That is, it means "I remember (the words she said)", not "You should remember".

Xを口にする means "to speak of X".

I see now, i was misunderstanding it. Japanese is so confusing. @_@

Thanks a lot, you really helped me and i learned so much. :)

It's a Japanese translation version of I Believe in You from a musical How To Succeed In Business Without Realy Trying. Here's the original English lyrics corresponding to that part.

You have the cool clear
Eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth,

Yet, there's that up turned chin
And the grin of impetuous youth.

Oh, I believe in you,
I believe in you.

I hear the sound of good
Solid judgment whenever you talk.

Yet, there's the bold, brave spring
Of the tiger that quickens your walk.
(roar, roar!)

Oh, I believe in you,
I believe in you.

Frustration doesn't always comes from your mouth
いつも口はしない is complete negation, not partial negation.

I know 孤独に耐えた means bearing/endure loneliness, and 勇ましい足取り brave gait. But i don't know how to put in better words.
The original uses "bold" for 孤独に耐えた.

Now i really feel that i'm cheating. :( But thanks a lot, i was too curious to know where does this text came from. Also you helped me with some of the grammar.

I'll try to submit my translation anyways.

Now i really feel that i'm cheating

That's probably because you really are cheating.

They probably implemented the test to prevent bad translations by eager people who had insufficient knowledge to be doing the translations. Now you're trying to find a way to get past that so you can subject people to your own bad translations based on insufficient knowledge.

Would you like to go there seeking a good translation and instead find bad ones from people who selfishly cheated the system? No? Then don't do it to others.

I just posted part of the text in order to learn from it, i never asked for the full translation, just asked some doubts (i don't blame Toritoribe for posting it, i'm so thankful with that). Should i stop learning how to translate that just because it comes from a test? Whatever, the text is kinda different from the one i need to translate. I thought it was full cheating but actually it wasn't, i still have to translate part of it.

IMO i learned a lot and it is fine.

Btw, here is the full text to show you it is not totally the same:
その眼はクール 強い意味を表す
負け知らずのアゴ それにその微笑み
あなたを信じてる 信じている

おまえその顔 おまえをしんじてる
思い出すさ
あのとき彼女が言った言葉を

悔しさはいつも口はしない
孤独に耐えた 勇ましい足取り
あなたを信じてる 信じている

For example, i can't translate その眼はクール 強い意味を表す with "Eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth"

And this is not even in the English text, i need to totally translate it by myself (and no, i'm not gonna ask for more help)
おまえその顔 おまえをしんじてる
思い出すさ
あのとき彼女が言った言葉を

That's all i wanted to say. Thanks again to all for helping me.

I never gave you the English translation of your Japanese sentence. I just showed you where the lyrics is from. Also, I said "a Japanese translation version". The Japanese translation of the song is not only one, and they are not a literal translation since it's a song lyrics singers need to sing along with the rhythm/melody, of course.

Isn't it おまえその顔 and 悔しさはいつも口はしない, by the way?

Isn't it おまえその顔 and 悔しさはいつも口はしない, by the way?

Yes, i was trying to edit the post but i can't. At least i can't find how. I was expecting and "edit" button on my post or something,but there is nothing like that.

And i'm agreed, you didn't give me a translation. But i'm so glad, i was so curious about where does the text came from. Actually, i liked the song. :p

Back
Top Bottom