What's new

Does this say Jo-n, the way I would pronounce my husband's name with a British accent*

EveAsh

後輩
12 Dec 2016
Or should I use katakana instead, and it's important to me that it does not read
aishteru.jpg
aishteru.jpg Ja-n, the way North American accents say his name as that is not his name at all, it's Jooo-n. :)

Thank you.

There exists no kanji that's pronounced "n", so the 約輪 -> Jo-N breakdown is impossible no matter how you twist the readings of the characters.

It would indeed be best to stick to katakana: ジョン.

There exists no kanji that's pronounced "n", so the 約輪 -> Jo-N breakdown is impossible no matter how you twist the readings of the characters.

What do you make of this then?

Can anyone actually read what my photo says? Maybe it says J-on or Jo-on

Last edited:
The kanji in your initial post is 約翰, and the most common reading is "yakukan", whereas the one in the video is 慈恩 "jion".

Katakana is ok but it's literal and phonetic, as I understand, and loses the abstract meaning of his name kanji has, if I could just spell out Jo-on properly, haha... Not Yohanes or some biblical way of saying it (Hebrew for John).

The kanji in your initial post is 約翰, and the most common reading is "yakukan", whereas the one in the video is 慈恩 "jion".
OK so now I am getting somewhere, so there's no way to spell out jon without using katakana?

約翰 is a kanji transliteration of Johannes, since "yo/you" and "hane" are another reading of 約 and 翰, respectively. (This is from its Latin pronunciation, not from English pronunciation of "John".)
Katakana ジョン is the most common description of "John", as already pointed out.

OK so now I am getting somewhere, so there's no way to spell out jon without using katakana?

You seem to be wanting kanji so it has something more than just the simple phonetic meaning....but don't seem to be the slightest bit interested in what the kanji in those bogus made-up forced attempts to write "John" in kanji mean. This is bizarre.

You can render the pronunciation you want in any number of ways in kanji. Just pick one that is read "jou" and one that is read "on". The first example that comes to mind is the actual Japanese word 常温. Any Japanese speaker seeing that would unfailingly pronounce it exactly the way you want your husband's name pronounced. If you don't care what 常温 means and are happy to have any old kanji that reads the way you want it to, use that.

Getting a tattoo?

You seem to be wanting kanji so it has something more than just the simple phonetic meaning....but don't seem to be the slightest bit interested in what the kanji in those bogus made-up forced attempts to write "John" in kanji mean. This is bizarre.

You can render the pronunciation you want in any number of ways in kanji. Just pick one that is read "jou" and one that is read "on". The first example that comes to mind is the actual Japanese word 常温. Any Japanese speaker seeing that would unfailingly pronounce it exactly the way you want your husband's name pronounced. If you don't care what 常温 means and are happy to have any old kanji that reads the way you want it to, use that.

Tattoo?
Mike, with all do respect, you sound angry. You don't have to help me if you don't want to but your patronising me is a waste of both our time.
I'm not sure how you can miss this but I am 100% illiterate in Japanese, hence asking about it on a Japanese forum. I can't read any of the symbols you type out, my device doesn't have Japanese alphabet(s) installed.

I am interested in writing John, the way we say it in Britain, in kanji if at all possible, but katakana will do, if it's not possible to do it in kanji.
What I'm not interested in is wasting both of our times in you venting your frustrations on me, you can instead just ignore my ignorant, illiterate questions, or maybe post a picture/screenshot of what you would write John in kanji as, which would be helping me a lot.

No, not getting a tattoo just trying to court my husband with some Japanse pics but I can't seem to get his name nowhere nearly right in kanji...Can you please post the screenshot of your jou-on word, and tell me what it means broken down to symbols, that might do the trick. I do have a tattoo of his name but in English to be sure it is my husband's name and not saying Yakukan, haha.

Last edited:
約翰 is a kanji transliteration of Johannes, since "yo/you" and "hane" are another reading of 約 and 翰, respectively. (This is from its Latin pronunciation, not from English pronunciation of "John".)
Katakana ジョン is the most common description of "John", as already pointed out.
I can't read what you wrote in Japanese, are you suggesting this (see picture) as a way to write my husband's name? Do you have a pic or a screenshot of a kanji rendering of it as Mike suggested there are some ways to write Jou-on in kanji?

Attachments

• John katakana.jpg
    John katakana.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 162
image.jpeg

I wouldn't write "John" in kanji.

If you're considering getting a tattoo in the script of a language you know absolutely nothing about...please don't.

You don't seem to understand that there is no combination of kanji which MEANS "John". There are combinations of kanji which can kinda-sorta-halfway be READ as something that vaguely sounds like "John".

Trying to force kanji together to create a kanji version of an English name is like pounding square pegs into round holes.

If you don't care what the kanji mean, but only care that your tattoo sounds exactly like the way you pronounce your husband's name then it can be done. The problem is you end up looking like a total prat to anybody who can actually read kanji. If you don't mind...not a problem. And you'll probably end up with an artist who either makes a botched mockery of kanji or you'll end up looking like it was put on with an inkjet printer. If you don't mind...not a problem.

Please share a photo of it with us.

View attachment 24169

I wouldn't write "John" in kanji.

If you're considering getting a tattoo in the script of a language you know absolutely nothing about...please don't.

You don't seem to understand that there is no combination of kanji which MEANS "John". There are combinations of kanji which can kinda-sorta-halfway be READ as something that vaguely sounds like "John".

Trying to force kanji together to create a kanji version of an English name is like pounding square pegs into round holes.

If you don't care what the kanji mean, but only care that your tattoo sounds exactly like the way you pronounce your husband's name then it can be done. The problem is you end up looking like a total prat to anybody who can actually read kanji. If you don't mind...not a problem. And you'll probably end up with an artist who either makes a botched mockery of kanji or you'll end up looking like it was put on with an inkjet printer. If you don't mind...not a problem.

Please share a photo of it with us.
OK, I am starting to understand that there's no kanji for John, so what does your pic say actually, as that is kanji, right? Is it that botched together forced way of saying John, you speak of?

No, not getting a tattoo just trying to court my husband with some Japanse pics but I can't seem to get his name nowhere nearly right in kanji... I do have a tattoo of his name but in English to be sure it is my husband's name and not saying Yakukan, haha.

So, katakana symbols for John, will they do? Will it say John, (like in my pic), I'm just putting some pics together for him that say aishteru John Koi, koishteru John. Nothing as serious, or silly as a tattoo in a language I know nothing about, I promise :)

Attachments

• John katakana.jpg
    John katakana.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
so what does your screen shot say actually, as that is kanji right? Is it that botched together forced way of saying John, you speak of?

They are pronounced pretty much exactly the way you want. They mean "room temperature" (as in food or drinks being at room temperature).

So, katakana symbols for John, will they do? Will it say John, (like in my pic), I'm just putting some pics together for him that say aishteru John Koi, koishteru John. Nothing as serious, or silly as a tattoo in a language I know nothing about., I promise :)

Use the katakana.

They are pronounced pretty much exactly the way you want. They mean "room temperature" (as in food or drinks being at room temperature).

Use the katakana.
Well, we can't have 'room temperature' can we, even if it weren't very prat-ish, since hubby is hot...So katakana reads John and means just that, nothing more? I don't want to call John mundane Japanese words while I'm trying to be romantic. Haha.

Thank you for your help btw, I just love to court him still and he's considering to start learning Japanese, so I want to dress up as...you know dress up... and present him with some pictures that say I love you John very strongly and committed-ly and I want you forever...

And giggle like mad, coz I giggle anyway (when I'm not even trying to be a cute, romantic, sexy manga girl), I'm very smitten with him even after 6 years.

You'd be amazed at some of the requests we get here.

Im sorry but I want to make sure | Japan Forum
Oh dear, haha, read through the "nappies" thread. Haha, was he trolling or what the bloody hell? I totally understand that you guys get a lot of ridiculous stuff. I am actually dyslexic so my posts can be all over the place on a new forum, but I promise, I just want to be romantic, not ridiculous. Which is exactly why I don't want to call my husband 'room temperature' while trying for a romantic gesture, so thank you.

Whatever you decide, I'm glad you and your husband have such a healthy relationship. I think what you're doing is very sweet, doesn't hurt anyone, and the more people we have in this world who spend their time and energy on being kind and loving to the people they care about, the better.

Go with the katakana.

Back
Top Bottom