What's new

Does this problem work?

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,

does this problem work?
Q) Choose two sentences below that match what you have read in the text.
(a) When Japanese people get on a train, they often try to get on it ahead of everyone else.
(b) Mon Myat Thu don't think that the Japanese work hard.
(c) Yin Wenyi thinks that Japan has a lot of earthquakes.
(d) Yin Wenyi will probably come back to Japan.
(e) When Wenyi was having trouble carrying a heavy baggage, a Japanese woman offered
help.
TEXT:
-2-
What do foreigners living in Japan think about the country and its people? One of them, Yin Wenyi, from China, is impressed by Japanese manners. She points out that when the Japanese get on a train they line up, unlike people in China. In her country, she says, passengers tend to try and get on the train ahead of everyone else.
Soon after the Great East Japan Earthquake, Yin decided to leave Japan. At the station, she found the escalators shut down. She was trying to carry a heavy suitcase up the stairs when a Japanese woman approached her. "Can I help you? We're all having a tough time, aren't we?" the woman said. At that moment, Yin knew that she would surely return to Japan.
Mon Myat Thu, from Myanmar, admires the Japanese because they work hard. When she herself began working part-time in Japan, she was surprised to be told that she should look for things to do even when there are no customers around. Such an idea was new to her.

Thanks in advance.
Hirashin

1st version: Q) Choose two sentences below that match what you have read in the text.
Corrected: Q) Choose two sentences that match with what you have read in the text below.

(a) When Japanese people get on a train, they often try to get on it ahead of everyone else.

1st version: (b) Mon Myat Thu don't think that the Japanese work hard.
Corrected: (b) Mon Myat Thu doesn't think that the Japanese work hard.

(c) Yin Wenyi thinks that Japan has a lot of earthquakes.
(d) Yin Wenyi will probably come back to Japan.

1st version:
(e) When Wenyi was having trouble carrying a heavy baggage, a Japanese woman offered help.
(e) When Wenyi was having trouble carrying heavy luggage, a Japanese woman offered help.

TEXT:
-2-
What do foreigners living in Japan think about the country and its people? One of them, Yin Wenyi, from China, is impressed by Japanese manners. She points out that when the Japanese get on a train they line up, unlike people in China. In her country, she says, passengers tend to try and get on the train ahead of everyone else.
Soon after the Great East Japan Earthquake, Yin decided to leave Japan. At the station, she found the escalators shut down. She was trying to carry a heavy suitcase up the stairs when a Japanese woman approached her. "Can I help you? We're all having a tough time, aren't we?" the woman said. At that moment, Yin knew that she would surely return to Japan.
Mon Myat Thu, from Myanmar, admires the Japanese because they work hard. When she herself began working part-time in Japan, she was surprised to be told that she should look for things to do even when there are no customers around. Such an idea was new to her.

Thanks in advance.
Hirashin

I'm not native but have a pretty solid foundation in the English language so I might have some helpful input as well (although feel free to correct me). Most sentences (especially the text) were fine, although the added changes make it sound more fluent as some words were a little off for the context they were placed in :)

Just a quick look (The World Cup's on!) but

b) Mon Myat Thu don't think that the Japanese work hard.

should be "doesn't"

When Wenyi was having trouble carrying a heavy baggage,

Baggage is non-countable, like luggage, so you could say "some heavy baggage" or "a heavy bag" but not a "baggage". From the article, "a heavy bag" would be correct.

a Japanese woman offered help.

You would usually say "offered to help me" or "offered some/her help"

Back
Top Bottom