What's new

Does anybody know if its possible to switch to a Student Visa from a Working Holiday?

KashimaKing

Kouhai
6 Oct 2015
Good morning everyone.

This is a question I have that me be a shot in the dark actually, however I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this subject or any advice they can offer. Im not looking for comments on my personal circumstances in possible, but more on the facts of actually doing this.

So I've been in Japan since March this year on a working holiday that finishes in March 2017. Ive fallen in love with Japan and have a strong desire to learn Japanese formally at a school. I want to stay in Japan and have an idea how to achieve both that, and to learn Japanese.

Ive already emailed a few schools I'm interested in, but is it possible to change my visa from a working holiday in March to a student visa? I understand my rights to working will change as well as other things, but i hope to stay for maybe 1 more year as a student under a new visa. There is obviously lots of information online, but my situation seems very specific, as in being on a working holiday and wanting to stay not on a working visa, but as a student.

The fees seem pretty high, but I'm okay financially and can afford it, but it seems just a bit too easy to just pay this, become a student at a school, and stay here for another year. At the same time though i can't see why this would be an issue, its not as if I'm looking to undertake anything illegal.

Thank you, any advice would be appreciated!

David

You're no longer planning to apply for a spouse visa then?

As far as I know, you can apply for the student visa without leaving the country. Call immigration and confirm. Pretty straightforward question for them.

You're no longer planning to apply for a spouse visa then?

Hi Mike.

Maybe. Basically my visa finishes in March and we are looking for ways to stay together. We planned to Marry in January and apply for the visa soon after. We spoke to my girlfriends father who unfortunately didn't give us his permission to marry. He was positive about our relationship, but he asked us to wait a couple more years before making the decision. He doesn't know that my visa expires and we need to do this though, and we dont want him to know if possible because this makes it look like I'm marrying her for a visa. Her mother knows about our history and supports us fully so we are planning to visit him again with a plan showing how serious we are in hopes of getting his permission.

I can't really blame him. If I had a daughter and she called me out of the blue and asked to marry an English teacher she knows, id probably ask her to slow down too. We still have the option of trying to apply for a working holiday to my country (UK) to buy another 2 years together, and we haven't given up on the spouse visa, but obviously I'm trying to get as many options as I can. We spent six months here when we met, then we did long distance for 3 years, now I'm here living and working and we certainly dont plan to breakup due to visa rules any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom