What's new

Do you have to apply from America if you are an American citizen?

onset

Registered
3 Apr 2012
1. I am in Korea right now. Would I have to go back to America to be able to apply?
2. I heard JET was the best, but that it's hard to get into and you have to wait a long time. What are differences between Nova, AEON, Interac, etc.
3. How much can you expect to spend on rent, transportation, and insurance?

According to the JET website, the answer to your question is no. Read on.:

I'm a U.S. citizen currently living overseas. Can I still apply to the JET Program?
Yes, you are eligible to apply for the JET Program and in fact we have a number of applicants each year who apply while studying, living, and working overseas. Application materials will be available online in the fall and materials must be received in the JET Program Office in Washington, DC by the deadline so be careful to leave enough time for the materials to be deliver ed. If selected for an interview ALL U.S. JET applicants must interview in person at one of the designated interview locations. Overseas applicants will NOT be able to interview at the U.S. Embassy in Japan, at Japanese embassies in foreign countries, by phone, or by Skype.

Interac is an ALT dispatcher. NOVA and AEON are eikaiwa (conversation schools). NOVA went bankrupt after a major scandal with the president, and it was taken over by GCom. The work visas you need for Interac vs. the eikaiwas are different. Go to the ESL Cafe for more.

How much you spend depends on your lifestyle and location.
average figures
50,000 - 80,000 rent
2,500 per month for rent the first year, tenfold more thereafter
transportation to and from work is too variable to estimate, and employers usually reimburse it

Back
Top Bottom