What's new

Different Kamon in same family?

Just when I thought I had clearly established that our kamon was the kikyo, I was shown a note from my late grandmother indicating that her grandfather's was the maruni tsuta (sorry, I'm probably butchering these names). Background: Uncle Hirozou and Aunt Yoshi are wearing the kikyo on formal kimonos (separate photos) from around 1912 and 1930. This made sense, as an online source indicates this was one of twelve emblems used by the Nakamuras, although the kikyo was probably among the least prevalent. However, my late grandmother's note is clear -- great, great grandfather Shinsuke's was the tsuta. Was it common for the son (Uncle Hirozou) to adopt a different emblem from his father (Shinsuke) when he started his own family, probably around 1890? Also, I assume that Shinsuke had his kamon established before 1850. I know merchants and (perhaps) farmers adopted their own mon by the late Edo period. However, would having a kamon by this time suggest samurai status?

Thanks for your help.

No, unless the uncle left the Nakamura family and took his wife's family name. Getting "adopted" into the wife's family is not at all unusual.
No.
Thanks, I have to admit I am at a loss. There seems to be at least two explanations: Grandma was mistaken (although she was careful to include a picture of the tsuta), or Hirozou was "adopted." Somehow I think neither was likely.