What's new

difference between two similar grammar structures.

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
こんにちは皆さん、
The following question is attached to the title of a documentary. I realise it is used as part of the advertisement, so could be just casual use. But it has a structure using suru verb (attached to nouns directly) that doesn't use を. I would like to know if there is a grammatical reason or just casual, etc...
The question is.
日本に迫る脅威 激化する豪雨」/激しさを増す豪雨にどう備えるのか

How can we prepare for the intensely threatening and increasingly violent downpours, approaching japan?
Why is 1 脅威 激化する and the other 激しさを増す they are both used as part of description of the downpour.

よろしくお願いします

It's 日本に迫る脅威=激化する豪雨.
激化する豪雨 and 激しさを増す豪雨 are exactly the same thing (激化する=激しさを増す), simply rephrased to avoid repetition.
If it were in English the second part would be "how to get prepared for it" but in Japanese language it is not very common to use pronoun.
Instead of saying それにどう備えるのか, a paraphrase is used here.

It's 日本に迫る脅威=激化する豪雨.
激化する豪雨 and 激しさを増す豪雨 are exactly the same thing (激化する=激しさを増す), simply rephrased to avoid repetition.
If it were in English the second part would be "how to get prepared for it" but in Japanese language it is not very common to use pronoun.
Instead of saying それにどう備えるのか, a paraphrase is used here.
But is there a reason for the first one not using を?

As nekojita-san explained, 日本に迫る脅威 and 激化する豪雨 are two noun phrases that are in apposition. 脅威 is not the object of 激化する.

日本に迫る脅威 i.e., 激化する豪雨

Thank you undrentidesan and toritoribesan.
I see their both the same. We do the same in English.
For example we might write,
The threat from global warming is intensifying /increasing what can we do.

I don't think your English example matches what the Japanese original is trying to do. Think of it this way.

Main Title = 日本に迫る脅威 激化する豪雨
subtitle= 激しさを増す豪雨にどう備えるのか

The main title would be analagous to "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope".
Maybe it would help if there were a colon inserted. 日本に迫る脅威:激化する豪雨

By themselves they are just short, discrete phrases that hint at what the main story is about. The subtitle then goes on to explain the topic using a complete sentence.
激しさを増す豪雨にどう備えるのか

I see what your saying, they are dramatizing. More grammar would help, but then that would decrease the effect.
Main Title =: Threat to Japan, heavy rain to intensify
subtitle =: How to prepare for the increasingly violent downpours.
Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom