What's new

Dave's ESL Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transformer5

Sempai
17 May 2017
Just wondering what people make of the Dave's ESL Cafe website, and the Japan forum. I was posting there for a while but had my account banned after getting into a slanging match with a particularly rude and patronizing poster calling himself Taikibansei (apparently he's a Uni ESL Lecturer and has had some involvement with the Union (presumably the General Union or NAMBU )). The mods decided that him insulting and ridiculing me (for no other reason than he took exception at a comment I made that wasn't even made at him) was fair game, but me returning fire in a similar way was unacceptable, and banned my account without warning.

Has anybody had similar experiences on that site, and/or with this particular poster? I noticed that some other threads on there involving him had warnings and edits posted by the mods, so it seems that he causes a certain amount of trouble there but is allowed to get away with it while others aren't. That would appear to be one reason why that site is virtually dead in the water: a combination of the attitude of one or two "respected" posters, and incompetent moderating.

I notice also that, despite banning me, the site hasn't kept the rest of my posts, so anybody checking in there can read and perhaps benefit from information I've posted. They're taking a massive liberty banning someone but keeping hold of all of their posts.

I was posting there for a while but had my account banned after getting into a slanging match with a particularly rude and patronizing poster calling himself Taikibansei (apparently he's a Uni ESL Lecturer and has had some involvement with the Union (presumably the General Union or NAMBU )). The mods decided that him insulting and ridiculing me (for no other reason than he took exception at a comment I made that wasn't even made at him) was fair game, but me returning fire in a similar way was unacceptable, and banned my account without warning.

Well, you might want to review what went on.

You were banned, and he wasn't.

Has anybody had similar experiences on that site, and/or with this particular poster? I noticed that some other threads on there involving him had warnings and edits posted by the mods, so it seems that he causes a certain amount of trouble there but is allowed to get away with it while others aren't. That would appear to be one reason why that site is virtually dead in the water: a combination of the attitude of one or two "respected" posters, and incompetent moderating.

I would agree that it's a dead site/forum, but that is due to all the negativity that is posted there.

No, no similar experience. Nothing like what you seem to have experienced.

I notice also that, despite banning me, the site hasn't kept the rest of my posts, so anybody checking in there can read and perhaps benefit from information I've posted. They're taking a massive liberty banning someone but keeping hold of all of their posts

That seems a little confusing... They have, or haven't kept all of your posts?

taikibansei has far more experience in japan than you do, and probably far better j-lang ability. And he has been working with the general union for many years.

Instead of just slamming him here (without his knowledge), and slamming that forum, have you got anything concrete to offer?

Frankly, you're doing your dirty laundry here, since you can't there.

This thread should be locked.

Well I've explained why I think I was banned. To be blunt, the mods are useless and don't care. That's one of the reasons the site is so dead, the fact that people like the poster named above are allowed to continue on behaving the way they do, while anyone who responds to them gets a warning, gets edited, or banned.

I notice there were other threads and exchanges he was involved in where the moderator made warnings to people, and I think edited or deleted posts. He seems to be a source of problems there. The fact that he has many years experience in Japan and with the union is a separate issue from his attitude. They're not automatic determiners of someone's knowledge or ability. Besides, you've no idea how many years experience I have in Japan, or my Japanese ability, so I'd suggest you refrain from commenting on it.

the site is so dead,

So just accept that and leave it be.

Don't bring your dirty laundry over here.

And, hey, instead of just slamming someone like this here, how about if you provide some links to the discussions there that you're talking about?

This thread should be locked.

So just accept that and leave it be.

Don't bring your dirty laundry over here.

Is it against board policy? I'll do whatever I like within those limits. If the mods have a problem with it, they know they can message me and discuss it, as we have done before. I'm not going to take orders off yourself.

Update, to clarify our policy on such issues:
  1. It is not against our Forum Rules or ToS to discuss other websites. We even have a dedicated section to post and discuss Japan-related online resources.
  2. What is against our ToS is to:
    • Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as the right of privacy and publicity) of others.
    • Publish, post, distribute or disseminate any defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful material or information.
  3. As expressed above, we do not condone or encourage the discussion of internal issues relating to other websites here on JREF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom