What's new

Data and phones

Rondsay

Registered
15 Feb 2017
Do you have a recommendation for smartphones? We plan on bringing our iPhone 6+ and 7. To access the net should we get a wi-fi hot spot? Any specific details are appreciated. We are in Japan for two weeks.

Please let us know what you think the best solution is for using data. We don't expect to use the phones for phone calls that much.

If you want data, I highly recommend renting a wifi hotspot. It lasts all day and lets you connect multiple devices, so as long as you and your wife are together you'll both have internet (try to establish rendezvous locations beforehand in case you lose each other, or getting something like Tile to help you reunite).

I've done data sim cards before, but my experience with the hotspot has me converted.

Rental Mobile Wifi Mifi Pocket Wifi in Japan, Portable Wifi Mifi router access point:: Global Advanced Communications
I used these guys for my last trip, the hotspot was waiting for me at the airport and three weeks later I dropped it off in a post box with the pre-labelled package at the airport on my way back out. Pretty flawless experience, altogether.

If you want data, I highly recommend renting a wifi hotspot. It lasts all day and lets you connect multiple devices, so as long as you and your wife are together you'll both have internet (try to establish rendezvous locations beforehand in case you lose each other, or getting something like Tile to help you reunite).

I've done data sim cards before, but my experience with the hotspot has me converted.

Rental Mobile Wifi Mifi Pocket Wifi in Japan, Portable Wifi Mifi router access point:: Global Advanced Communications
I used these guys for my last trip, the hotspot was waiting for me at the airport and three weeks later I dropped it off in a post box with the pre-labelled package at the airport on my way back out. Pretty flawless experience, altogether.

THANKS!!!!

Also, if you do airbnb, some hosts will provide their own hotspots, so you can each have your own to avoid the problem with separating, for some of the time at least

Back
Top Bottom