What's new

Crime and Etiquette in Japan

Whitbyfish

Registered
Reaction score
I am a student from England who is currently writing an essay on crime and etiquette in Japan and whether they are related, to do this I have created a 5 minute (anonymous) survey aimed at people living in Japan or people who have lived in Japan and would be grateful if you could contribute to my project, thank you for your time. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6DQJYLW

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Will you share your essay with us once it's finished?

Whitbyfish

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking about posting it when it's done, I will definitely share what kind of results I got from the survey.

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
I won't be taking your survey. The questions are ill-formed and sometimes loaded. I don't see how you're ever going to collate the data. You also have very poor demographics questions (one, actually), so as far as you know a person who says they aren't a native to Japan could be a long-term resident, a tourist, a working holiday visa holder, etc., as well as American, Turkish, Malaysian, Argentinian, etc.

Whitbyfish

Registered
Reaction score
I completely understand what you are saying and agree, I know I'm not experienced with surveys and this was my first attempt at one so I am not using this survey as a main topic in my essay and may only use it to add to certain points I make. Thank you for your constructive feedback :)

Last edited:

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
I would also suggest to define what you consider crime. Do you mean specifically violent crime, or do you mean everything from bicycling without a proper headlight to fraud to visa over-stayers, etc.... For example, if a tout on the street tries to lure me into a strip-club, and I know that touting is illegal, have I then been victim of a crime? (Sorry, just using an extreme example here - I suspect you mean assault or burglary, but just wanted it to be clarified).

Yes, watch out for the leading questions also.

WonkoTheSane

先輩
Reaction score
I think you're also primarily going to get mostly foreigners perceptions of crime and etiquette in Japan. This is a completely different topic than that which you seem to want to learn about.