What's new

Could you check my exam?

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
could you please check my exam?

Only checking the English part would be appreciated.

1 次の( )にあてはまる語句をア~エの中から一つ選び、( )に記号を書きなさい。
2×23=46点
①Are you ( ) tennis ? (ア) play (イ)plays (ウ)played (エ)playing
②( ) your father go to Kyoto every Saturday? (ア)Are (イ)Is (ウ)Do (エ)Does
③( ) you go to school yesterday? (ア)Have (イ)Did (ウ)Are (エ)Were
④Does Mary ( ) in the park every morning?
(ア)jog (イ)jogs (ウ)jogging (エ)joggings
⑤( ) tennis tomorrow?
(ア)Do you play (イ)Do you playing (ウ)Are you play (エ)Are you playing
⑥( ) you seeing your doctor this afternoon? (ア)Do (イ)Does (ウ)Are (エ)Will
⑦Are you ( ) the Osaka Castle ?
(ア)go to visit (イ)going to visit (ウ)go to visiting (エ)going to visiting
⑧My mother ( ) the piano. (ア)play (イ)plays (ウ)is play (エ)was played
⑨Tom ( ) a car. (ア)have (イ)haves (ウ)has (エ)is having
⑩Tom ( ) lunch now. (ア)have (イ)haves (ウ)has (エ)is having
⑪When I got off the bus, it ( ). (ア)rain (イ)rains (ウ)is raining (エ)was raining
⑫A delicious cake ( ) by my grandmother.
(ア)made (イ)is make (ウ)was making (エ)was made
⑬I got up ( ) six this morning. (ア)in (イ)on (ウ)for (エ)at
⑭We moved here ( ) 2005. (ア)in (イ)on (ウ)for (エ)at
⑮I have lived here ( ) I was ten. (ア)when (イ)from (ウ)during (エ)since
⑯My mother sometimes makes chocolate cake ( ) me.
(ア)for (イ)to (ウ)give (エ)eat
⑰How kind ( ) you to help me! (ア)for (イ)to (ウ)from (エ)of
⑱"( ) you do me a favor?" "Sure." (ア)Do (イ)Are (ウ)Did (エ)Will
⑲Hurry up, ( ) you'll be late for school. (ア)then (イ)so (ウ)and (エ)or
⑳If it ( ) sunny tomorrow morning, I'll go fishing.
(ア)is (イ)will (ウ)will be (エ)is going to be
㉑Mr. White had his students ( ) the problems.
(ア)solve (イ)to solve (ウ)solving (エ)to solving
㉒It ( ) three years since my father died.
(ア)passed (イ)has passed (ウ)has been (エ)has been passed
㉓Mike failed his exam, ( ) made his father angry.
(ア)what (イ)that (ウ)why (エ)which

2 [ ]の中の語句を並び替えて、日本語の意味になる英文を作りなさい。文頭の文字も
小文字になっているので注意すること。 完全解答3×8=24点
①私は今、郵便局に行って来たばかりです。I [ office the just post to have been ].
I .
→I have just been to the post office.
②私はあの男性が誰なのか知りません。I [ who man know that don't is ].
I .
→I don't know who that man is.
③彼はとても太っていて、そのドアが通れなかった。
He [ get door so he fat was through the couldn't ].
He .
→He was so fat he couldn't get through the door.
④彼が言っていることは本当だ。[ he true what is says ].
→What he says is true.
⑤私は、美しい庭があるお寺に行きました。I [ a temple garden a with visited beautiful ].
I .
I visited a temple with a beautiful garden.
⑥彼は、クジラの写真を撮るために、ハワイに行った。
He [ to whales take Hawaii pictures went of to ].
He .
He went to Hawaii to take pictures of whales.
⑦富士山は、あの山よりずっと高い。Mt. Fuji [ than mountain taller is that much ].
Mt.Fuji .
Mt. Fuji is much taller than that mountain.
⑧カナダはインドの約3倍の大きさだ。Canada [is about three times as large as India].
Canada .
Canada is about three times as large as India.

3 [ ]の条件に従って次の日本語を英語にしなさい。 5×6=30点[部分点あり]
①私達は、毎週土曜日にその公園に行きます。[weで始めてeveryを用いて]
→We go to the park every Saturday.
②私は犬より猫のほうが好きです。[likeを用いて6語で]
→I like cats better/more than dogs.
③この国には、たくさんの湖があります。[there で始め、 lot を用いて9語で]
→There are a lot of lakes in this country.
④あなたのノートを見せてもらっていいですか。[seeを用いて5語で]
→May/Can/Could I see your notebook?
⑤昨日買ったペンをなくした。[Iで始めて7または8語で]
→I lost the pen (that/which) I bought/got yesterday.
⑥私には、お母さんが歌手をしている友達が一人いる。[9語で]
→I have a friend whose mother is a singer.

Thanks in advance.
Hirashin

The only problem I see is here:

㉑Mr. White had his students ( ) the problems.
(ア)solve (イ)to solve (ウ)solving (エ)to solving
Depending on context, I think either ア or ウ could be correct.

1. ⑫: While "A delicious cake was made by my grandmother" is technically correct, it's a rather awkward sentence that you'd never hear in real life (people would say "My grandmother made a delicious cake" instead). A more natural-sounding option would be "This cake was made by my grandmother."

3. ④: Similarly, while "May" is technically valid and would certainly be understood by other English speakers, it sounds stiff and is barely used anymore even in literature; when it comes to daily conversation, I'd dare say it's not used at all these days. This might be worth pointing out to students who formulate their requests with "May I ...".

Last edited:
Thank you for the help, lanthas and Julimaruchan.
I've corrected the problems you two pointed out.

1ー⑫ This cake ( ) by my grandmother.
(ア)made (イ)is make (ウ)was making (エ)was made

1-㉑Mr. White had his students ( ) the problems.
(ア)solve (イ)solved (ウ)to solve (エ)to solving

What's the difference between "He had his students solve the problems" and "He had his students solving the problems"?

3ー④ Can/Could I see your notebook?
I was taught that when you ask for permission, "May I ~?" would sound more polite than "Can I ~?" That was not true, wasn't it? I guess a lot of students will write "May I", so I'm not going to consider it to be wrong.

You could say ウ or イ here.

You could say ア or イ here

I was taught that when you ask for permission, "May I ~?" would sound more polite than "Can I ~?" That was not true, wasn't it?
It is more polite, which is precisely what the problem is - it's too polite. Imagine asking your classmate for their notebook using 謙譲語 - while not wrong, it's also not exactly natural.

It is more polite, which is precisely what the problem is - it's too polite. Imagine asking your classmate for their notebook using 謙譲語 - while not wrong, it's also not exactly natural.
I'm not convinced that's a proper comparison. English doesn't really have defined politeness levels, it's all based on context / tone / etc. The thing with "may I" is just that it's considered to be "more correct" than "can I". So using "may I" makes you sound sophisticated, and therefore more professional.

I wouldn't bat an eye at even a very close friend saying something like, "May I borrow your notebook?" It says nothing about status or our relationship or anything like that, it just says that she speaks eloquently.

For avoidance of doubt, I don't think it's ever "off" or odd for someone to say "may" instead of "can" in these situations, unless they're mixing it with very obviously slangy or rough speech.

Hirashin - didn't find any problems, although I think you should mix up the words a bit in the last sentence about Canada being bigger than India. If you've asked students to rearrange sentences, that's what they should be doing. Not mixing up the words may make students wonder if you made a mistake in the test.

Michael2 - never seen 'If it will sunny' before' - could you provide a link that this structure is actually used?

I would also allow 'may I...?' as a correct answer.

I think Michael2 must have either misread or miswrote, because I think "will" is the only wrong choice out of these, come to think of it. I think all the others are all perfectly fine.

Sorry, yes I always mix-up イ and エ
I meant to write エ.
I think "is going to be" could be correct. I would argue "will be" would be wrong because if you're using that structure you should use "is". The difference between that and "going to be" would be that "going to be sunny is when it is decided, a zero conditional. If you use a type one conditional you are not assuming the condition is true, with "going to be sunny" I am thinking, for example, of a situation where someone has told me definitively what the weather is going to be like tomorrow.

You could say ウ or イ here.

You could say ア or イ here

I think "haves" is undoubtedly wrong. Can you say "Tom has lunch now"? What does it mean?

To my knowledge, "if it will sunny" is grammatically wrong.

I think Michael2 must have either misread or miswrote, because I think "will" is the only wrong choice out of these, come to think of it. I think all the others are all perfectly fine.

Really? I didn't know that you can say "if it will be sunny tomorrow, or "if it is going to be sunny".
Then I have to correct this problem.

Hirashin - didn't find any problems, although I think you should mix up the words a bit in the last sentence about Canada being bigger than India. If you've asked students to rearrange sentences, that's what they should be doing. Not mixing up the words may make students wonder if you made a mistake in the test.

Yes, you are right. I forgot to change the word order. Thanks for pointing it out.

How about this?
(ア)is (イ)be (ウ)will (エ)were

Sorry Hirashin, I always mix-up イ and エ.

You could say "Tom has lunch now" if you are describing what someone is doing now that is part of a routine or schedule, not so much describing their actions but explaining their routine. If Tom was a baby you might be telling a friend that he has lunch at this certain time, or "Oh, it's 4 o'clock, I have to go. Tom always has a nap about now."

I think your new question for ⑳ is great.

I see. Thanks, Michael2.

How about this, instead?
⑩Tom ( エ ) lunch now. (ア)have (イ)haves (ウ)had (エ)is having

Can you say "Tom had lunch now"?

I didn't know that you can say "if it will be sunny tomorrow, or "if it is going to be sunny".
"if it will be sunny" is not ideal, but some people really do say it like that, albeit typically contracted to "if it'll be sunny".

"if it will be sunny" is not ideal, but some people really do say it like that, albeit typically contracted to "if it'll be sunny".
Oh, really? But we have to tell the students that it's grammatically wrong because this type of problem is often set in the college entrance examinations.

I would have thought "If it will be sunny," would be extremely rare. I think "be going to" is acceptable in that clause because it can describe, in relatively common cases, things that have been decided for the future, and the if-clause does not mean "if this happens" as much as "when this happens" or "because this is the case," for example, "If Britain is going to leave the EU, we'll need to re-organise our business." (said with an air of resignation). The meaning is different to when you use the simple present, as is normal. If you used "will" it would be instead of the simple present which I would say would be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom