What's new

Comparative sentences

Ratings
Hi there, I've just made some comparative questions with answers and wanted to know if I have written them correctly :)

Q. がっこうとだいがくとどちらのほうがむずかしいですか

A. だいがくのほうががっこうよりむずかしいです。

Q. テレビをみるとえいがをみるとどちらのほうたのしいですか?

A. えいがをみるのほうがテレビをみるよりたのしいです。

I was uncertain about the last one as my book only mentioned adjectives being used in this context, but I figured it be worth the experiment anyways as it can only further my knowledge even if I'm wrong, right? :p

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
You need の after the verbs in #2 to nominalize them (essentially, change "watch movies" to "watching movies"). In the answer, you don't need の after みる. You also dropped a が that needs to be there.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,538
I can't compare college/university with school... What kind of school are you referring to?

Ratings
Mike, so would えいがをみるの be watching movies in that case? Also, I'm confused as the answer layout in my book for these types of questions seems to telling me to use の in my answers to them, hence why I used ' みるのほうが '

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,538
As written in your textbook "The idea of comparison is expressed by (illigible) something to the NOUNS that are compared", A and B MUST be a noun in the sentence AのほうがBより~. In fact, 中国, 日本, バス and 電車 are all nouns. In your examples #1, both がっこう and だいがく are nouns, therefore #1 is correct. Whereas in #2, both テレビをみる and えいがをみる are clauses, so you need to change them into nouns (= nominalize) by using の or こと, i.e., nominalizer.

テレビをみるのとえいがをみるのとどちらのほうがたのしいですか? / テレビをみることとえいがをみることとどちらのほうがたのしいですか?

On the other hand, any nominalizer is not needed before ほう or より. When a clause preceding ほう is nominalized, の is needed, though.

えいがをみるほうがテレビをみるよりたのしいです。
or
えいがをみることのほうがテレビをみることよりたのしいです。

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,538
Or, えいがをみるほうがテレビよりたのしいです。 is also possible.
Even えいがのほうがテレビよりたのしいです。 can be valid unless you are an actor, director or something.