What's new

Companies with work-life balance

Wooo

Registered
13 Nov 2015
Not sure if this question has been asked. I did some searching but hadn't come across anything.

I was wondering if the folks in this room could list the companies they are aware of that have a reasonable work-life balance in Japan? What this means is that there are no crazy work hours of 14+ hours per day. I'm seeking companies that have a 9ish to 6ish work schedule. I don't care about the location, job title, or work environment. I just want a list.

I hope this question could become valuable to all those seeking employment in Japan but don't want the Japanese work hours. This could also become valuable to Japanese companies as a way of having been singled out for their favorable stance on employee well-being, and therefore attract more applicants for their open positions.

Thank you for your assistance.

Often a single company has both of these situations within the same company. For example in my last company the admin staff, especially the ones that were there as contract help, had very regular 8-9 hour days. However the engineers frequently worked the stereotypical hours that you are referring to.
Also in another former company in Japan, which was a wholly owned subsidiary of an American company, the I.T. department which consisted of many non-Japanese had a work-hard but flexible kind of setup. I frequently worked 12 hour days but more in the style you see in California tech companies now, not the obligatory thing you're referring to. And if I had a reason to leave earlier there was no problem. However the finance department which was almost all Japanese had a very Japanese long-hour work ethic that seemed to be practically mandatory.

Often a single company has both of these situations within the same company. For example in my last company the admin staff, especially the ones that were there as contract help, had very regular 8-9 hour days. However the engineers frequently worked the stereotypical hours that you are referring to.
Also in another former company in Japan, which was a wholly owned subsidiary of an American company, the I.T. department which consisted of many non-Japanese had a work-hard but flexible kind of setup. I frequently worked 12 hour days but more in the style you see in California tech companies now, not the obligatory thing you're referring to. And if I had a reason to leave earlier there was no problem. However the finance department which was almost all Japanese had a very Japanese long-hour work ethic that seemed to be practically mandatory.

Thank you for the feedback. So I guess it can be different between departments within the same company. In either case, it is good to hear that the long hours aren't absolutely everywhere. Would it be too much to ask if you could share the names of the companies you are referring to above?

Thank you

Unless you find something with shift work (like McDonalds), you are going to face what are called case by case situations here, I think.
Also, in places like eikaiwas the teachers usually work 5-6 days a week (Sat/Sun are not a typical weekend), and the work day can be noonish to 9pm. Pretty strict about that.
Differences can also be found between temp and direct hire positions, as well as PT vs FT jobs.

There are a lot of foreign companies who have opened offices in Japan. Yes, they employ Japanese managers and therefore may be at risk to the long long work day, but some of these foreign companies have a culture that promotes better work/life balance as well. Even if it depends on the department, I'm still looking for those companies that have balance within certain departments.

Back
Top Bottom