What's new

Comfort Women What do you think?

Which side do you believe regarding the "Comfort Women" issue?

• Total voters
👍
you should read what sinoceterism is ,again.

Sinocentrism is the same as saying a country is ethnocentric, the word is specific as it only it refers to China and its pre-modern view of the rest of the world, us and the barbarians.

So are you saying that Japan is the same?

your idea is like Yakuza Idea

It isn't my "idea", it was a response generated out of the number of respondents making similar comments that other's (countries) should apologize for their "misdeed's" as well.

Look at some of the comments here on this thread and on the "other" comfort women thread, in some of these responses people are making comments that either are attempting to justify Japan's past history, or use other countries misdeeds to justify Japan's own atrocities.

One could read these responses as an admittance that Japan is guilty as well.

If Japan was not guilty why bring up the issue of other countries needing to apologize for anything in the first place?

Two wrongs do not make it right.

So are you saying that Japan is the same?
I dont konw😊 however it is based on today's real fact for Japan.
I think A ordinary country is so....
so is Japan
However, they say that reflection(introspection) is insufficient when some problems occur.
they say"Show the sincere introspection . "
in the Yakuza world, it is money...
And, it is likely to demand an apology again. And, it is eternal.
This is a diplomatic issue.
This diplomatic card is very effective.
you should read what sinoceterism is ,again.
your idea is like Yakuza Idea....
Once japan requested korea the compensation of individual comfort women from Japan. who refused that...? KOrean gervenment
that is , they wanted to make it diplomatic card

COMFORT WOMEN AND KONO STATEMENT

Two wrongs do not make it right.
If you tell others to clean up their room, before you clean up your own, how convincing are you?

You could say that the person wagging his finger at another also has a point, but that does make him a hypocrite.

Think twice before you wag your finger, because, seriously, the US isn't any better (although you seem to think it is.)

The interned people were American people...

Japanese-Americans,yes. The German-Americans were also interned, but didn't ask for a compensation of $ 20 000 p.p.

Maybe the German-Americans felt ashamed of what happened in Europe during WWII?
The Japanese-Americans felt themselves war victims. America had to apologize and pay.

I don't know about monetary compensation, but the Dutch government has apologized for their part in the slave trade and also of colonization several countries. This was a issue a few year back I believe..

Ask your Dutch govenment when Indonesia got independent from your country.

The Dutch government insisted on 27th December 1949 as the Indonesian Indepence Day, until the 17th of August 2005 when Mr.B.Bot the Dutch foreign minister celebrated together with the Indonesians their real Independence day. Mr. Bot did this in name of the Dutch government.
Indeed ... at last.

But the Moluccans and the Papuans are living under the yoke of the Javanese government. That is also sad and nothing can be done about this.

The Dutch East Indies / Indonesia, was a Dutch name for all the independent islands around 1600. The Dutch government in the Netherlands in somewhere in 1800 called their colony, the Dutch East Indies.
The Dutch government became very rich! Those beautiful and rich islands have put the very small country Holland on the world map.

Today the Indonesian and Dutch governments are friends again.

what was concentration camp's name?
According to Wikipedia:
List of concentration and internment camps - Wikipedia
WWI and WWII
During World Wars I and II, many people deemed to be a threat due to enemy connections were interned in the US. This included people not born in the U.S. and also U.S. citizens of Japanese (in WWII), Italian (in WWII), and German ancestry. In particular, over 100,000 Japanese and Japanese Americans and Germans and German-Americans were sent to camps such as Manzanar during the second World War. Some compensation for property losses was paid in 1948, and the U.S. government officially apologized for the internment in 1988, saying that it was based on "race prejudice, war hysteria, and a failure of political leadership", and paid reparations to former Japanese inmates who were still alive, while paying no reparations to interned Italians or Germans.

According to Wikipedia:

WWI and WWII
During World Wars I and II, many people deemed to be a threat due to enemy connections were interned in the US. This included people not born in the U.S. and also U.S. citizens of Japanese (in WWII), Italian (in WWII), and German ancestry. In particular, over 100,000 Japanese and Japanese Americans and Germans and German-Americans were sent to camps such as Manzanar during the second World War. Some compensation for property losses was paid in 1948, and the U.S. government officially apologized for the internment in 1988, saying that it was based on "race prejudice, war hysteria, and a failure of political leadership", and paid reparations to former Japanese inmates who were still alive, while paying no reparations to interned Italians or Germans.
Germans were hardly a minority group in the States, so it was physically impossible to lock up all Americans of German ancestry. Actually, German Americans sent to internment camps were much smaller in number.

Germans were hardly a minority group in the States, so it was physically impossible to lock up all Americans of German ancestry. Actually, German Americans sent to internment camps were much smaller in number.
I belive that this is true. I think that it was only ethnically japanese who were interned merely based on ethnicity. Men, women and children - even US citizens were interned.

, because, seriously, the US isn't any better (although you seem to think it is.)

I would love for you to "show" me when I ever made any comment even close to saying that the US was "any better".

Let me save you the trouble researching it, I haven't. Don't assume, next time try asking first, you may be surprised at how I actually think about my "home" country.:)

One other thing to remember is that there was the issue of "race". Many AMERICAN's, Caucasian Americans were viewed differently than those American's that were of Asian, particularly Japanese descent.

It is a same because it is money talk

No it's about something totally different, it's about being able to stay on one topic plain and simple. Fortunately the majority of people posting and reading here are intelligent enough to make the distinction between what is pertinent and otherwise.

There are two major points that I can make here:
1. The Japanese IMPERIAL government didnt give a damn about the gaijin back in WWII. They did rape women, fire plague-ridden shells into Chinese towns, break every rule regarding POWs; in general they committed every war crime I can think of.

2. However!!!! There is something to be said of forgiveness. These women were abused by the Japanese military. There is no doubt about it; but that was 65 YEARS AGO. These women do deserve a formal apology, but money???? NO! The reason behind my stance on this is that I do not believe that money is a solution to anything. Do you honestly think that if the Japanese government paid off these women for what they went through that they would stop complaining? Look, there comes a time when everyone must individually decide that the past is the past and it should stay there. We didnt send Japan a bill for Pearl Harbor. In fact, we helped rebuild this country with our own money. That is the right thing to do: beat up the bully, forgive him, shake his hand, help him learn from it and help him rebuild.

We didnt send Japan a bill for Pearl Harbor. In fact, we helped rebuild this country with our own money. That is the right thing to do: beat up the bully, forgive him, shake his hand, help him learn from it and help him rebuild.

But we did saddle the country with having to "host" all the military bases that are here today. Plus the amount of money that the Japanese government now pays to keep these bases here is staggering. In a way that has forced Japan to pay more in reparations to the US than they paid to all the other countries in Asia combined, and probably many hundreds of times over.

Yes the US helped Japan get back on it's feet, but the reasons were not as altruistic as you are making them out to be, it was purely for the benefit of the US and not so much as recreating a new Japan. The US wanted a buffer country from the "then" growing "Red" threat.

These women do deserve a formal apology, but money???? NO! The reason behind my stance on this is that I do not believe that money is a solution to anything. Do you honestly think that if the Japanese government paid off these women for what they went through that they would stop complaining?

Probably some would, some wouldn't who knows, but you do realize it isn't just about the money, all of them had the chance to receive compensation from the Asian Women's Fund but they refused it because there was not admission of guilt and neither did the compensation come from the government itself.

So what does that tell you?

To me at least it means that it isn't about the money it's about the want or need to have the government of Japan once and for all unambigiously for now and all following generations acknowledge that this is a part of the history of Japan. Don't whitewash it, don't attempt to brush it under the carpet of time. Put it into the textbooks for all future generations to read, similar to what Germany did about Nazism, and I would bet you the clamor would die with these changes as well.

But we did saddle the country with having to "host" all the military bases that are here today. Plus the amount of money that the Japanese government now pays to keep these bases here is staggering. In a way that has forced Japan to pay more in reparations to the US than they paid to all the other countries in Asia combined, and probably many hundreds of times over.
Yes the US helped Japan get back on it's feet, but the reasons were not as altruistic as you are making them out to be, it was purely for the benefit of the US and not so much as recreating a new Japan. The US wanted a buffer country from the "then" growing "Red" threat.
Probably some would, some wouldn't who knows, but you do realize it isn't just about the money, all of them had the chance to receive compensation from the Asian Women's Fund but they refused it because there was not admission of guilt and neither did the compensation come from the government itself.
So what does that tell you?
To me at least it means that it isn't about the money it's about the want or need to have the government of Japan once and for all unambigiously for now and all following generations acknowledge that this is a part of the history of Japan. Don't whitewash it, don't attempt to brush it under the carpet of time. Put it into the textbooks for all future generations to read, similar to what Germany did about Nazism, and I would bet you the clamor would die with these changes as well.

Good post! I concur!

It makes one wonder if there isn't some sort of coersion to bring prostitutes to Japan today? powerful non-govt people or entities?
With not admitting wrong doings of the past, not appologizing, nor compensating for the past, it leaves open a possibility for future wrong doings. Do they wish to leave all their options on the table, or something?
I think it's a fairly well established fact that the Yakuza are able to bring in various women from South East Asia and other regions, under the guise of being job brokers. Once the women arrive they have their passports taken, are told that they now must pay back the considerable expense of bringing them here and "housing them" etc, and the nightmare begins, often with beatings to put them in the correct frame of submissiveness. The government have been urged numerous times to take a more serious stand against this but their efforts have been half assed. And to add major insult to injury, any of the women who actually manage to escape the sex prisons they are basically confined to, are then in danger of being arrested and processed as illegals by the authorities-which involves further incarceration, and deportation!! Government indifference to their plight and tolerance of the blatant human trafficking being conducted by Japanese criminal organisations, is in my mind, complicity!! This is one of the most obscene human rights violations in the developed world today; right here in good ole Japan!!

Government indifference to their plight and tolerance of the blatant human trafficking being conducted by Japanese criminal organisations, is in my mind, complicity!! This is one of the most obscene human rights violations in the developed world today; right here in good ole Japan!!

I'm sure Japan isn't the only developed nation in which this is wide spread.

Yeah, human trafficking is really bad in Industrialized nations, like the US and Western Europe.

Sumimasen kedo,
are you being sarcastic?

I really do not know any stats on this stuff, just that we would be naive to believe it is not going on even in the US.

There are afterall sweatshops in NYCity in the year 2007 and probably L.A. and other places too. Prostitution rings. Is that the same thing as human trafficking?

Off topic reply here...

Sorry about this, this is an off topic reply to this thread.

Sumimasen kedo,
are you being sarcastic?
I really do not know any stats on this stuff, just that we would be naive to believe it is not going on even in the US.
There are afterall sweatshops in NYCity in the year 2007 and probably L.A. and other places too. Prostitution rings. Is that the same thing as human trafficking?

I hope you realize that Ma Cherie was agreeing and adding that it occurs in the US as well.

Why would you think she was being sarcastic. Human trafficking unfortunately has been occuring for hundreds if not thousands of years, imo it is in some ways much worse than war.

It is still happening here in Japan as well, recently immigration started getting tougher on it but then the "crimminal's" changed their tactics and started setting up "false" marriages between Japanese men and "foreign" women. Just like what often happened between US servicemen and women from the Phillipines. That among other reasons as well forced the US to change it's "green-card" laws.

I hope you realize that Ma Cherie was agreeing and adding that it occurs in the US as well.
Why would you think she was being sarcastic.

...too much time online...?
i don't know

It doesn't seem like something Ma Cherie would disagree with.
I definately don't know where to get stats or even articles to back
up what I said. Maybe I'm feeling guilty for not looking more into it?
i don't know

Back
Top Bottom