What's new

Comfort Women What do you think?

Which side do you believe regarding the "Comfort Women" issue?

• Total voters

KirinMan

後輩
23 Jan 2007
Alright, there is another thread under this topic regarding the issue of the "Comfort Women"
Comfort Women Thread On JRef
What I want to know from everyone here is which side of the issue do you believe to be true.

I did a "google" using "Comfort Women" and came up with 26,000,000 results;
Comfort Women on Google

I was amazed at the amount of information, evidence and fact supporting these women's claims against the Japanese Government.

Don't let me influence your "vote", please read a few of the stories and look at the link to the thread here on JRef, there are some posting here that refuse to accept that this occured, and others that are just as strong in their views that this "fact" can not and should not be brushed under the table.

If you want to comment about this issue itself please do so on the "other" thread, put your vote here and if you want place a comment as well explaining why you did so.

Please don't push this thread off topic; keep to voting only.
Please note; on poll option three I wanted to write; I BELIEVE that the overwhelming majority were coerced into becoming a "Comfort Woman"

Last edited:
21 views, 0 replies.. Seems like this is a very controversial topic. 😌

I found this to be a very insightful document, with proper sources. It's hard to deny something happened there and then, and that coercion was involved.

I believe the women of course. Not only due to the fact that there's tons of evidence that indicates these women were tricked and coerced. But because during times of war, raping women or using them as sex slaves is apart war. Specifically when you're invading another country, rape is often used a weapon.

I BELIEVE that the Japanese Government owes compensation as well as an apology to these women
about a decade ago...
Japanese Government requested permission to make amends to them one by one voluntarily to the South Korea government.
however korean government refused it because it was a strong diplomatic card for them

about a decade ago...
Japanese Government requested permission to make amends to them one by one voluntarily to the South Korea government.
however korean government refused it because it was a strong diplomatic card for them

So, then you too admit that these women were coerced into becoming "comfort women" as well, otherwise what need would there be to apologize in the first place?

I notice in the poll so far that only one person voted that they do not believe the women. I take it that was your vote Caster?

It is a public poll...if you click on any of the numbers to the right of the poll it will show you who voted for what category.

It is a public poll...if you click on any of the numbers to the right of the poll it will show you who voted for what category.

Thanks, even though I initiated the poll I was unaware of that. Thank you.

One thing that I notice so far is that some people believe the claims, yet dont believe that the Japanese Government owes them any compensation.

Many girls and young women have been used by Japanese military in the occupied countries by Japan.
Several young women have been taken out of my concentration came Banyu Biru 10, in January 1945, in Central Java, Indonesia. They were brought to Semarang to please the Japanese officers. I know one of those ladies, she is now 84 years old. Her story is a very sad story and it is one of the many stories. Alas.

I believe the women of course. Not only due to the fact that there's tons of evidence that indicates these women were tricked and coerced. But because during times of war, raping women or using them as sex slaves is apart war. Specifically when you're invading another country, rape is often used a weapon.

In a judgment that is likely to have far-reaching implications for war crimes trials in Rwanda, Kosovo and East Timor, the tribunal elevated systematic rape from being a mere violation of the customs of war to one of the most heinous war crimes of all - a crime against humanity.

Friday, February 23, 2001 in the Guardian of London

It's about time, huh?

The judgment will give hope to thousands of surviving "comfort women" used as sex slaves by Japanese soldiers during the second world war who have been fighting in vain for recognition and compensation from the Japanese government.
Yet in reality "new" laws can not be used for crimes committed over 60 years ago. So I wonder what hope these women would gain from it.

However I hope that it gives them some measure of comfort in knowing that finally crimes like this particularly against women and girls will no longer be overlooked or brushed under the carpet of time.

I am surprised somewhat that people who voted in the poll so far see that the government "owes" these women nothing, apology or compensation.

I would ask them, do you think that this event even occured?

They waited until 2001 to pass this? Well I suppose it is about time. But it could have happened much sooner.

I don't think we've really come all that far from white male property holders making the decisions in our societies.
I should probably add "straight" to that as well.
imo, you could replace the 'property holders' with 'corporate stooge' or something and get a clearer picture of the world.

POLL:
I didn't check the third one on the list, because I do not know enough historic details with regards to the phrase "by many means".

didn't check the third one on the list, because I do not know enough historic details with regards to the phrase "by many means".

Sorry about that in my OP I wrote;

Please note; on poll option three I wanted to write; I BELIEVE that the overwhelming majority were coerced into becoming a "Comfort Woman"

I had to change it because this wouldn't fit in the space allowed.

So far one person voted for all 6 categories. This obviously nonsense, as question 1, 3 and 5 are opposite to 2, 4 and 6. Either the one who answered in this way is not taking the issue serious or maybe s/he has a very unique way of reasoning?
:)

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of the person who voted that they believe in the claims that these women are making but do not believe that the Japanese Government owes them anything.

I find that to be an interesting position.

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of the person who voted that they believe in the claims that these women are making but do not believe that the Japanese Government owes them anything.
I find that to be an interesting position.

That would be me! What is it you expect me to say? I believe the stories, but see nothing that could be gained by an apology by the current administration (who wasn't at fault) or by massive payments to the victims. I could go on and on about this, but as I am the only one that sees it this way, it would be a huge waste of my time.

That would be me! What is it you expect me to say? I believe the stories, but see nothing that could be gained by an apology by the current administration (who wasn't at fault) or by massive payments to the victims. I could go on and on about this, but as I am the only one that sees it this way, it would be a huge waste of my time.
I usually hate using comparisons because in this case the situations are very different but in this case a precedent was made when the US Government paid reparations to Japanese families in compensation for their internment during WWII in the US. President Regan apologized and the government paid $1.2 billion dollars and this was in 1988.

Japan could easily do the same. I also feel that very much could be gained, if not at a minimum for the women themselves finally getting some satisfaction that what they went through and experienced is finally "officially" recognized and give them some peace of mind. Isn't that reason enough?

I would hope that you wouldn't think of it as a huge waste of time for you to add your thoughts, as it would also add to the discussion and give another point of view with which to view the issue.

By saying that you agree with the women's claims, but don't think that the government owes them anything, including any further apologies, what are you saying?

Should the government ignore them? Should history no longer "show" that this event occured? Should the revisionists here in Japan bent on changing the "current" view of Japan's wartime history be allowed to erase this from the collective memory of the Japanese people as well?

These are some of the reasons that I personally would be interested in hearing the reasoning for your choices. :)

The government at least owes those women some kind acknowledgment. It seems to me they want to pretend that it didn't happen. I think that is what's happening here, this event isn't shown in Japanese textbooks. There's just too much denial.

It makes one wonder if there isn't some sort of coersion to bring prostitutes to Japan today? powerful non-govt people or entities?

With not admitting wrong doings of the past, not appologizing, nor compensating for the past, it leaves open a possibility for future wrong doings. Do they wish to leave all their options on the table, or something?

With not admitting wrong doings of the past
it is very simple
I think it does not need admitting what it did not do
It is already like the fact.
Is the way of your trials such a method?
It is important to pile up evidence.

it is very simple
I think it does not need admitting what it did not do
You are very correct in saying this, the current Japanese Government is not guilty of committing these crimes. However by using this logic no government could be found culpable for acts that it either committed directly or indirectly in it's past.

This is also a fact, since this issue came to light this government and previous administrations are only guilty of not admitting that the Japanese Administration during WWII and the Japanese Military during WWII were guilty of the crimes of coercing women to use their bodies to service the Japanese military during WWII, either directly or indirectly by allowing it to happen.

Either through direct intervention or through intermediaries such as the "broker's" that were employed to round these women and girls up.

You know, one thing really sticks in my brain that defies logic, if the government of Japan honestly thought that this never happened I can not understand why in the world they allowed a non-government group "Asian Women's Fund" to be set up to provide compensation for these women in the first place.
Many of the women refuse to accept any compensation from this fund purely because it is a non-government organization.

My thoughts are as follows...it happened...the current government need not apologise, but needs to admit it happened. I think an apology coming from people who had nothing to do with the actual situation seems lame to me.(IMO) I get the feeling that the women really just want the truth out and that people know what really happened. They want their suffering validated, for people to know what they went through in the war. Too much war is seen through the eyes of soldiers, and their sacrifices....women have long suffered the atrocities of war in shame and silence...

I agree with you.
I think The problem is the future.
however. it is also the oldest business.
There are million of prostitutes Voluntary in the world .
What should we distinguish?

Back
Top Bottom