What's new

COE over 30 Years Old

Nihon Scope

Registered
12 Feb 2017
I've applied for FFLC in Fukuoka through Go Go Nihon, and I've read that Japanese immigration seems to look down on people who want to go to school when their over 30 years old. Would this cause any issues you think with getting my COE approved?

I'll be going to Japan in April with my wife who is 25. I'm 31.

Just wondering if this has ever been an issue... Should be finding out here later in the month, but getting the jitters a bit wondering about a bunch of stuff.

Thank you!

Where did you read that? I can't imagine you would have any trouble just because you've reached the ancient age of 31.

I first read it a few different places (sorry no direct reference at the moment) back when I was 29, and then I saw it again a few times when I turned 30. The reference the few times I saw it, basically said the same thing, it 'shouldn't' be an issue, but it is looked down upon to start college so late... It's like saying I have not figured out my life yet and I'm 30 kind of thing... so I'm just wondering. I mean it's certainly not that, I own my online business and now have time to do the things I want. But I mostly just remember when getting the COE/VISA that they look at my request to enter for school a bit different then those under 30.

never heard of problems caused by one being over 30 only thing ive heard of is over 35 for scholarships......never too old to pick up new tricks and get that grew matter working!
ps: i went to language school in japan with foreign nationals over 40 never had a problem

If you were born in Japan and went through the Japanese school system, the expectation would be that you enter university right after high school, or perhaps one year later if, for some reason, you failed to pass the entrance examination on your first try. This makes it unusual for Japanese natives to enter university (and subsequently, the workforce) much later than their contemporaries. But for foreign students studying in Japan, it is a non-issue.

I work in a university and have never heard of such a thing. Apply. Many, perhaps most, of the foreign students at my uni are over 30. Even if immigration did look down on applicants over 30, looking down does not mean rejecting.

Thank for all for the replies, that puts a lot of worries to rest. I tried asking the organization Go! Go! Nihon, and they kind of just brushed it off like it was nothing, perhaps because well, it is nothing. But it didn't really help me feel any better after asking.

Noticed the following on your blog:

"Japan requires it's citizens between 40 and 74 years of age to get their BMI/waistlines measured once a year, and if need be seek medical attention and counseling."

Would have commented there but didn't see a comment button... Where did you get that?

Many different citations actually -

Unfortunately, that is an absolutely wrong and entirely misleading headline which isn't even substantiated by the distorted report itself. Such reporting does help explain what brought this earlier thread about, though:

Metabo Law and Foreigners | Japan Forum

If you will notice, please, the report says nothing about the government requiring Japanese citizens to get measured once a year.

As an observation, my older sister went back to "school" a couple of years back and she is in her 50's. Sure she wasn't doing a language course, but if she was applying here in Japan I wouldn't expect her age to be an issue.

Hi Mike,

Thank you I appreciate the insider knowledge, I'll be sure to add this as a reference and change a few things up. I suppose until I get to Japan, I'll be at the mercy of the interweb.

Hi Mike,

Thank you I appreciate the insider knowledge, I'll be sure to add this as a reference and change a few things up. I suppose until I get to Japan, I'll be at the mercy of the interweb.
This is a great example of a reason why people should blog about things they know about, not things they look up on the Internet. Often, it's just a web of falsehoods that get repeated around by people who know no better.

The Internet is to the truth what a tabby cat is to a lion. It's in the same family, but that's about where the similarity ends.

Uninformed opinions are like herpes. There's no shame in having them, but it's bad form to pass them around.

Uninformed opinions are like herpes. There's no shame in having them, but it's bad form to pass them around.

Giving out mistaken information on the internet is like picking your nose. Everybody does it but you still cringe to find out somebody saw you.

"Metabo" is something many Japanese are aware of. Employers can pick on employees to reduce their weight, but it's not illegal to be fat. My employer sent me a polite message after the annual checkup to say I should (not must) lose some weight. Happens every year, and my salary has not been reduced, so it's just an awareness thing. Can't speak for other employers who might penalize employees.

Back
Top Bottom