What's new

Travel Cheapest way to travel in Tokyo

adriandesu

後輩
18 Feb 2016
Can anyone recommend what would be the best way to go about travelling in Tokyo? I am staying in Tokyo for a week and will want to commute between places like Shinjuku, Shibuya, Asakusa, Akihabara etc.

The cheapest is definitely walking, it's - apart from cycling - the best way to discover a city. You can easily walk between Shinjuku and Shibuya or between Asakusa and Akihabara. For longer distances just take JR or Tokyo Metro. Or the bus, as Mike has just mentioned.

In terms of convenience, yes, but they wouldn't really help you save money.

Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway offer special passes which are very useful if you ride the metro and trains a lot within one day. Tokyo Metro has a "1-Day Open Ticket" (¥710 for adults, ¥360 for children), Toei Subway a "One-Day Economy Pass" for ¥700 (¥350 for children). Common one-day tickets for both Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway are available for ¥1,000 (¥500 for children). Toei Subway has a "Tokyo One-Day Free Tickets" for ¥1,580 (¥790 for children) that can be used on Toei subways, Toei buses, the Toei Streetcar (Toden) Arakawa Line, and the Nippori-Toneri Liner, as well as Tokyo Metro and JR East trains within Tokyo's 23 wards for one day.

Travel - Tokyo Subway Guide | Japan Forum

If you're looking to save money, sometimes just taking a different line to the place you want to go can save a few bucks.

When you do google maps directions look at the options and play with the times. A few minutes wait can save some money sometimes.

In the areas you asked about, it is frequently the case that stations are only a very few hundred meters apart. Always take a look at the map if you're only going a station or two away from where you are. Go may find that many times walking is a good option.

If you plan to visit a lot of different areas in one day, a subway card (about 1000 Yen) for the whole day would be a good deal.

Thanks guys! I have a rough idea of what I am going to do now. Also have you ever tried and if so would you recommend using AIRBNB?

Okay, thanks guys! Just booked the flights. Looking for somewhere to stay now for a week, most likely going to use Airbnb. It's my first time going to Japan and I am going on my own, so if you guys have any other tips/advices for someone going for the first time please share :)

I've used airbnb twice now for stays in Ikebukuro and absolutely recommend the service. Make sure you get an apartment with a wifi walker included. Many apartments come with these but some don't.

Also, it's worth investing in a bilingual atlas such as the brilliant Tokyo City Atlas (Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Kodansha International, Atsushi Umeda: 9781568364452: Books

Slightly off topic but I don't reckon much to this atlas. It is clearly laid out and fine if you are a tourist going to the main areas. I live in the suburbs outside the Yamanote line and the latest edition has been very lazily updated and omits a major road (part of Kanpachi dori no less) that has been there for at least five years. My Japanese road atlas is much clearer and a third of the price.

Method to enjoy Hokkaido or the Kyushu district in Tokyo.
A local special product exhibition is sometimes held in the department store of Japan.
Special event of the department store of March.
"Hokkaido exhibition"
Place:Shinjuku Keio Department Store.
Period:2016/03/30 - 2016/04/13
Place: Tokyu Shibuya Station, Toyoko shop
Period: 2016/03/24 - 2016/03/29
Place: Seibu Ikebukuro
Period 2016/03/23 - 2016/04/4
"Kyushu exhibition"
Place:Shinjuku Keio Department Store.
Period:2016/02/25 - 2016/03/01
大九州展|京王百貨店 新宿店
Site of the product exhibition.
物産展.com:トップページ

The subway lines worked best for me. But judging from you destination options, you can stick to the JR Line. I highly suggest you download the mobile app, HyperDia, to help you navigate through the train system. It will indicate which stations you should transfer/stop at, as well as the timetables/ETAs for the trains.

During my first visit to Tokyo, I used the Tokyo Subway Tickets and purchased them at Narita Airport. These tickets are more intended for tourists since they have unlimited use for up to a certain number of days (varies depending on which one you get). If you are intending to check out places mostly along the Japan Rail (JR) Yamanote Line, then I suggest you purchase the JR Yamanote Line ticket instead.

Can't get any cheaper than walking,
For me, I LOVE to walk but not in the summer, I don't like my butt sweating...Ha, Ha.

If your going to do a lot of walk, I STRONGLY recommend you plan out your route going from A, to B to C and etc. Believe me, I walk from akihabara to Senso-ji Temple to University of Tokyo, all the way down to shibuya.

Well I have already been but thanks for the advice guys! I have walked hell of a lot and used buses/subway whenever needed.

Back
Top Bottom