What's new

Cheapest way to call overseas?

Yakobu

Registered
26 Dec 2014
I need to make a phone call from Japan to America. It's even a toll-free number (maybe that doesn't make a difference since I'm calling from Japan), but when I tried to use my cell phone to call (I have Japanese phone service because I am living in Japan, not visiting) I got an error message. Maybe I need to enter 81 before I dial? And in any case, this may not be the best way to do it, because overseas calling is expensive (even though I have an app ("050 plus") that reduces call cost, at least domestically) and this call will probably take a good 10 minutes. Should I buy Skype credit and use that instead?

I use Skype for stuff like that.

You don't need to enter the Japan dialing code if you're dialing from Japan.

MagicJack app is free and no cost to call out to the U.S.

Getting a Google Voice number is free and can be set up to work with apps so you can receive calls for free.

WonkoTheSane,

I don't believe he is in the US as he said he wants to call from Japan to the US. I also believe that Google Voice is not available outside of the US. He could probably sign-up using a VPN or proxy but not sure if it would work or not. I should test this the next time I'm in Japan.

Also, its free to get Google Voice calls but you have to pay to make them. We actually use this more than Skype for phone calls to Japan as the rate is cheaper. This is rare though as usually we are video chatting and not calling a phone.

I don't know anything about MagicJack so I can't comment on that.

Petaris,

I know.

What I stated is that if he wants to MAKE calls for free FROM Japan he can use the MagicJack app.

Separately...

If he wants to RECEIVE calls for free FROM the US he can get a Google voice number.

This is what I do from Japan while living here.

Back
Top Bottom