What's new

Changing the field of study for MEXT Scholarship (Research Student)

Samuri

Registered
27 Jul 2016
Hello, everyone.

I'm quite new to this forum so I apologize first if my question sounds bizarre or unclear. I am from Myanmar and it is almost sure to say that I passed MEXT scholarship as a research student for next year.

My question is if it is possible for a MEXT applicant to apply for a graduate school from another university with a different field of study while staying in Japan on MEXT scholarship grant (probably during the research student (kenkyusei) year).

I know it sounds very weird because it means effectively changing the field of study and research that won you the scholarship in first place. I hope some members here might have answers to this. Excuse me for my poor execution of thread title also :'D .

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Soe

... But changing field and university.... You would probably have to reapply to mext. Changing field and staying at the same university sounds very plausible, but I honestly to don't think Japanese institutions are as a flexible as the west. You'll need to spend some time making contacts and connections as a research student.

Would be interesting to hear the answer to this.

Hello, everyone.

I'm quite new to this forum so I apologize first if my question sounds bizarre or unclear. I am from Myanmar and it is almost sure to say that I passed MEXT scholarship as a research student for next year.

My question is if it is possible for a MEXT applicant to apply for a graduate school from another university with a different field of study while staying in Japan on MEXT scholarship grant (probably during the research student (kenkyusei) year).

I know it sounds very weird because it means effectively changing the field of study and research that won you the scholarship in first place. I hope some members here might have answers to this. Excuse me for my poor execution of thread title also :'D .

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Soe
When you extend from the Research Scholarship to the graduate degree (Masters or PhD), there is another application you fill out which is meant to confirm the program of study for your Research Student position, but it can be used to change programs/universities.

Sorry for the late reply, I had the same doubt and I had posted in the Facebook page asking the same question. One of the mext scholar had replied me that changing the field of study as a research student is possible and that you need your current advisor's consent to do the same. I also remember him telling that a couple of Mext scholars have done it in Tohoku University.

Sorry for the late reply, I had the same doubt and I had posted in the Facebook page asking the same question. One of the mext scholar had replied me that changing the field of study as a research student is possible and that you need your current advisor's consent to do the same. I also remember him telling that a couple of Mext scholars have done it in Tohoku University.
I believe it might be possible, regards,

Back
Top Bottom