What's new

Question Can you please help me identify this old movie?

Kassidy

Registered
6 Aug 2018
Konichiwa,
I'm new to the forum. I signed up in hopes someone here could help identify this old Japanese movie for me. I saw it on my own when I was a child and it left a deep impression on me.
It was a black & white drama about a young couple. I assume it was made in the late 1940's or early 1950's. They were incredibly miserable and struggled financially, but were also deeply in love. I can't remember whether they were engaged or married, only that things kept getting worse and worse for them as the plot progressed. I think the man lost his job at some point.
One scene that stuck with me was the two of them embracing in rain coats in the street at the evening. I think they had met at the same spot before, perhaps on a date, but this time around the circumstances were sad.
I think the ending was sad too, because I redeemer feeling completely drained after watching it. I was alone at my grandmother's house and they played this movie on MGM, and I was absolutely hooked to the screen. I had never watched a black & white movie before or any foreign movies. When my grandmother returned I told her about it, and she said she had seen it many years prior.
I would be so grateful if you could identify this movie for me. I know this isn't much to go on, but hopefully it'll click with someone's memory. Many many thanks in advance!

All the best,
Kassidy

Do you think you would recognize it if you saw a set of still images from the film?

It's not a full match with your description, but what you wrote sounds somewhat similar to Floating Clouds, by Naruse Mikio. Google can provide a list of similar movies to this one, and you can click on each one and view still images. Maybe some images from one of the movies in this list will jog your memory.

To get the list of movies, start with this link: Floating Clouds - Google Search

You can click on each movie at the top, one by one, and then click on 'more images' in the info box for that film that appears on the right-hand side.

Hopefully this will help more than confuse.

Back
Top Bottom