What's new

Can Unpaid Insurance Cause Issues?

BarkMoo

Registered
23 Jul 2015
A few years ago, I moved to Japan to do business. I moved between Japan and other countries often. My company set me up with an ARC card and insurance.

I just found out I have roughly 20,000 yen in unpaid health insurance bills. I really have no idea how this happened. I am looking at moving back soon. Could this present an issue with a visa or anything else?
Is there a way I can fix this?

Thanks.

It probably won't affect a visa. If you move back to the same general place you used to live, they might know about your debt, but if you move to a place farther away, they might not. It's not much, so I'd suggest paying it for peace of mind.

I completely intend to pay it. I am looking to move back to the same area but if I don't move back to the same ward, I'd have to go to my old ward office correct?

I was led to believe that health insurance is handled by local wards. So if I had a bill due to Ward A, but was now living in Ward B, I would have to return to Ward A to pay the bill because Ward B would not know about the existing bill.

Clearly I have to get back in country to pay so I am just hoping this doesn't prompt any issue with getting a visa...

OK, clear now. I believe you are correct. If it's inconvenient to go back to the old ward, ask the current one if they can transfer the documentation so you can pay there instead.

OK, clear now. I believe you are correct. If it's inconvenient to go back to the old ward, ask the current one if they can transfer the documentation so you can pay there instead.
You may not know this but is the national government involved at all with health insurance bills? I am just really worried about potential visa issues.

Why are you so worried if you already admit to planning to pay your debt? It almost sounds as if you have something more to hide. Pay up and be free! :)

Back
Top Bottom