What's new

Can someone translate this?

Dante17

先輩
3 Dec 2013
Hi there. I'm doing some work but have encountered a sentence which I have had no luck whatsoever in translating. Absolutely none. Could someone translate this?

メアリーさんは、家から北駅までどうやっていきますか。

I believe it's using kara to ask something about time as evidence by the まで but I can't put my finger on what the kanji for きたえき means ( other than train station with えき )

Please help :(

Mary topic marker home from north station to how go is the literal translation. You can work out the rest I hope. Is this homework?

I suppose, but I self study and use a book called genki. I think now I see that the north station bit threw me off! Thanks so much!

Are you sure you're not rushing through? Go back and review the explanations carefully.

There are plenty of people here able to translate this for you, however, Id like to ask you, first, (as Mike pointed) make sure that you comprehend the grammar involved, the book certainly offers an explanation for at least the key structures (から、まで and どうやって。) in this sentence.
Then, proceed to tell us your personal attempt to translate or at best, comprehend the message. Dont worry about being wrong, your efforts are the means to achieve your goals right?

No, I understood those elements minus どうやって. I was just having trouble recalling as I've been on break for a while and have been rusty as college as started again.

It's essentially asking how long it takes Mary to go from home to the north train station and In what way she does this. E.g: walking or bus etc.

From my understanding at least

から and まで arent necessarily linked to time intervals.

When used together you can translate them to the "from ~
to ~"-like expression, commonly used in english.

They mean "from" and "to"

No mention of time in there anywhere. Get that out of your head.

And Kraise, they can be used for location too? Like say, Tokyo to Kyoto? Describing travel? So really, the sentence is saying from home to the north station?

It does work (well at least on my PC).
−から
((格助詞))
1 〔場所の起点を示す〕
ここから駅まではどのくらいありますか
How far is it from here to the station?
彼は部屋から出て行った
He went out of the room.
戸口から入る
enter at the door
裏門から入る
go in by [through] the back gate
壁の透き間から光が差し込んでいる
Light is coming in through a crevice in the wall.
太陽は東から昇る
The sun rises in the east.
この本の10ページから読み始めましょう
Let's begin reading on page ten of this book.

Kraise-san also gives you a nice hint.

Can you think of another way "from" and "to" would make sense there?

Yes, they work like "from" and "to" in English.

They mean "from" and "to"

No mention of time in there anywhere. Get that out of your head.

I'm a bit confuse but are you sure they can't be used for time? I just ask because I vaguely recall my private tutor saying that it could when describing store opening and closing hours

they can be used for location too?
More likely, that's the primary definition also in Japanese dictionary.

I'm a bit confuse but are you sure they can't be used for time? I just ask because I vaguely recall my private tutor saying that it could when describing store opening and closing hours
Mike-san didn't say "they can't be used for time" at all. He just pointed out "No mention of time in メアリーさんは、家から北駅までどうやっていきますか". You'd better read sentences more carefully.

I never said they weren't used for time. I said there was no mention of time in the sentence. Do you see any? This isn't rust...it's not learning it right to begin with. Go back and redo this bit.

Back
Top Bottom