What's new

Can anyone tell me what this kanji character is? I couldn't find it with radicals.

anonymous123

Kouhai
18 May 2016
find-kanji.png

I searched for each radical of this kanji character on WWWJDIC and jisho, but there was no kanji character looking like this. Is this even a real kanji character?

Seems like a miswriting/misreading of 歴 and 史.
It looks more like 攴 than 史. After I searched for radicals, I also found 歴, but it was definitely written as one character instead of two. Do japanese kanji dictionaries lack some kanji characters?

24c7fvb.jpg

These two unnecessary slashes clearly show that the writer actually doesn't know the kanji. That's why I guessed the right one was also wrong, and it would refer to 歴史, meaning "history".

EDIT:
I found it's the traditional Chinese character version of 歴, i.e., a Chinese character mostly used in Taiwan and Hong Kong recently.
歷 - Wiktionary

Last edited:
This character displays fine in both the Chrome and Firefox browsers on my Windows 10 laptop. To my knowledge, I haven't done any special configuration other than installing the standard Japanese language support software.

By the way, as for the meaning of this character, I could not find it listed in the Japanese 漢字源 dictionary, or in any online Japanese kanji dictionary I checked. I did, however, find it listed in the Chinese 康熙字典 (Kangxi Zidian) dictionary. You can see it listed on this page: Kangxi Zidian : 攴部 : 十六 - Chinese Text Project The first part of the listing just explains the character reading (using the fanqie method for those who are familiar with it). The character meaning appears to be similar or identical to that of the character 亂 (written in modern Japanese as 乱).

If the OP is still following this thread, I would be curious to know where he/she came across the character, as it seems to be rather obscure.

I have no experience with Manjaro, but I see it is based on Arch Linux and uses the same package installer (pacman). You may be able to follow steps for installing Japanese language support in Arch Linux, although I certainly make no guarantees nor take any responsibility.

Here are some links I found pertaining to Arch Linux which may or may not be useful:
Help:Installing Japanese character sets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fonts - ArchWiki

Are you not seeing the character in the links that toritoribe provided? It's a Unicode character, so as long as your browser is set to UTF-8 your computer should be capable of displaying it.

As stated, this is not a Japanese character, it's a traditional Chinese character that may not be in modern use. A google search for just that character only brought up 2,910 results, which is pretty small, and most of the entries I saw were just for dictionaries.

What's your interest in this character?

| Chinese, Japanese, Korean (cjk) unified ideograph (U+23025) @ Graphemica

Are you not seeing the character in the links that toritoribe provided?

What's your interest in this character?

I installed some traditional chinese fonts, but I still can't see the character on chrome.
You need the right traditional chinese fonts to view the character.
My father wanted to know the meaning of the character, so I researched a bit.
After researching a while, I became interested in it. I started wondering the meaning.

I referred to Fonts - ArchWiki and installed
adobe-source-han-sans-cn-fonts, adobe-source-han-sans-tw-fonts, wqy-microhei, wqy-zenhei, ttf-arphic-ukai, ttf-arphic-uming, opendesktop-fonts, wqy-bitmapfont, and ttf-hannom. After installing them, I can somehow see the character.

My father wanted to know the meaning of the characters in the top row of the image below.

kanji.png

Last edited:
Let me paste the text in the image.
月海樂
月海亂楽
月海乱楽

Oh, It seems the U+23025 character cannot be inserted in a comment.

month,
sea,
whatever that character was (if it's like 亂 then it's like "disorder"),
enjoyable/fun

@nice gaijin: I am quite sure the father wanted to know what the characters mean when assembled together, not what they mean individually. If he is asking about an obscure character not appearing in Japanese dictionaries, he probably knows what 月 means...

The phrase has the feel of a 四字熟語, but I could not find it using a web search. Given what we have recently learned about how the obscure character means 乱, the expressions in all three rows all have the same meaning (樂 is the version of 楽 prior to simplification in Japan).

My WAG as to the meaning of this expression is: the moon and the sea are both at times chaotic and at times serene. Or something completely different.

Back
Top Bottom