What's new

Building Insurance in Japan

skating101

後輩
30 Mar 2015
We have recently purchased a building in Japan and are trying to find an insurance company to cover fire, building and earthquake insurance. Does anyone here have any recommendations for insurance for foreigners?

Our scrivener is currently looking for insurers however do you have any recommendations?

If you're not physically present in Japan, have no Japanese ability yourself, but know and have experience with an agent/scrivener whom you trusted to handle the purchase of real estate for you by proxy and the transaction went well.....why on earth would you not trust them to handle the insurance for you as well but instead look for input from some random stranger on an internet forum? I struggle to understand the reasoning behind that.

It called seeking further advice, too much information is not a hinderance

You do realize that most foreigners in Japan are enormously ignorant about stuff like this and being almost universally profoundly illiterate are in no position to educate themselves sufficiently to offer an informed opinion, don't you? If I needed advice on any grown-up matter in Japan the last people I would ask is a bunch of gaijins, especially if I already had competent, reliable, and trustworthy certified professionals in my employ.

excellent so seeking information about Japanese insurance is not a good idea on a Japanese forum designed to assist foreigners with getting information and all gaijins on this website are "enormously ignorant and profoundly illiterate"

excellent so seeking information about Japanese insurance is not a good idea on a Japanese forum designed to assist foreigners with getting information and all gaijins on this website are "enormously ignorant and profoundly illiterate"

You have been given some great advice. Do you think your professionally trained, certified, experienced, knowledgeable Japanese scrivener is a crook? Incompetent? Unreliable? Uninformed? Untrustworthy? Ignorant? Stupid?

I guarantee you he is 100x better informed and more competent to give you accurate, reliable, dependable, informed advice on this matter than any foreigner you will encounter on this board and probably any other. By comparison to them, the bulk of foreigners are indeed enormously ignorant and profoundly illiterate, yes. I never said "all" or "this website", but I include us and I include myself.

Is there some reason you'd rather trust an unknown fellow foreigner regarding a matter we have very little knowledge of or experience with rather than a known Japanese professional? One you've actually had dealings with?

I've seen enough of foreigners in Japan swapping misinformation and ignorance among themselves to know better than to ask their input on anything important regarding anything like this.

You do realize that the insurance sector in Japan is operated in accordance with law, professional standards, etc, and that there's really not much way to go wrong on this, don't you?

My scrivener has stated that this is not his expertise however he will try to find a suitable insurance company

So as the insurance sector in Japan is controlled by regulation therefore I can choose any insurer and be assured that the price is reasonable and the service is the same as any other insurer because just as in other countries controlled by regulations there is no discrepancy between insurers.

Obviously this statement is stupid as there are discrepancies between insurers and some of the gaijin may have an understanding of these discrepancies through experience

This information is useful to anyone who is comparing insurance.

I will be standing by breathlessly awaiting an informed and compelling explanation of the relative merits of various insurers and plans from a fellow gaijin.

Why not just go to an independent insurance broker like 保険の窓口 which isn't tied to a single insurer and can give you several options? Find somebody who speaks/reads Japanese to go along with you.

Back
Top Bottom