What's new

Travel Broke students

Th3Arb1tur

Registered
17 Apr 2017
So as the title stated both me and my friend don't have a ton of money but we wanted to visit Japan. Things like a 5 star hotel aren't important to us, so I figured I'd ask if anyone here knew of any hotels that aren't crazy expensive but can offer services in english. The only criteria I really have is being in Tokyo aside from that as lomg ss the place is clean and the staff are friendly I don't have a prefference.

What services do you need in English?

Have you checked youth hostels?

I'm curious how the fact you're a minor would affect things, if at all.

Last edited:
You could try airbnb. They are quasi-legal in Japan but there are some good deals to be had at the present time. Hosts often can speak English and will provide you with portable wifi and some basic orientation getting around.

@Mike Cash My friend I would be traveling with is over 18 so we should be fine, we've done international travel before. (The US and France) But to answer your question I haven't heard of a 'youth hostel' before.

@mdchachi I don't particularly feel comfortable using airbnb I've heard of too many bad experiences

Here's a Tokyo youth hostel.
Tokyo Central Youth Hostel [Japan Youth Hostels, Inc.]
Note, this 179 bed hotel-style facility isn't typical. The handful of YHs I stayed in Japan back in the day were very small. Typically shared rooms with other travelers. Probably no more than 25 beds at each place.

> How is that different from "illegal"?
Quasi-legal is like jaywalking. Technically illegal but low risk.
(Unless you're black and live in Sacramento). Anyway the issue in Japan, as you know, is with the host. Afaik I know it's not illegal for the guest to use airbnb.

We have an airbnb lined up in Tokyo in July. Hopefully it won't be shut down before then. That would be annoying. (If you hear of some crackdown or something before then please let me know!)

@mdchachi I appreciate the help, but I do have a question. My friend is nineteen does that mean he would be unable to stay at a 'youth' hostel?

usually when I hear something is for 'youth' usually 18 is the cutoff age, but thank you I appreciate the recomendation.

Happy to provide it. You can probably google up a list of hostels in Tokyo easily enough.

You should probably give this site a thorough looking at and consider using their services as well. They need some lead time, so don't wait until the last minute to contact them: TOKYO FREE GUIDE - Volunteer Tour Guide Service in Tokyo

Happy to provide it. You can probably google up a list of hostels in Tokyo easily enough.

You should probably give this site a thorough looking at and consider using their services as well. They need some lead time, so don't wait until the last minute to contact them: TOKYO FREE GUIDE - Volunteer Tour Guide Service in Tokyo
I took a look at their site and I'm sure we'll end up using them, lead time won't be an issue though as we aren't planning to go for at least another year. The reason I'm already asking around about this stuff is to give myself plenty of time to sort stuff out.

By implementing the "7 Ps" you demonstrate that you are wise beyond your years. Good for you. I wish there were more like you.

By implementing the "7 Ps" you demonstrate that you are wise beyond your years. Good for you. I wish there were more like you.
I wouldn't say wise beyond my years more like, once you screw up enough you learn not to. But hey my title changed from something about being a lower classman to something I can't read so I'll assume I did something right!

@mdchachi I appreciate the help, but I do have a question. My friend is nineteen does that mean he would be unable to stay at a 'youth' hostel?
I accidentally booked something like this for me, my mother, and my brother when we had a layover in Hong Kong... The owner was quite bemused by us, but my 70-year-old mother took it like a champ.

In Japan, I've done hostels, homestays, and all manner of living arrangements just because I wanted to experience these things (and I am old enough to be your father). No one cared one whit.

As long as your money is good, they don't really care about your age.

So as the title stated both me and my friend don't have a ton of money but we wanted to visit Japan. Things like a 5 star hotel aren't important to us, so I figured I'd ask if anyone here knew of any hotels that aren't crazy expensive but can offer services in english. The only criteria I really have is being in Tokyo aside from that as lomg ss the place is clean and the staff are friendly I don't have a prefference.
what about backpackers plans ?
there are many cheap ones (cheaper than youth hostels) like :
Asakusa Smile
or
http://tokyo-backpackers.com/en/
or
Nippori Backpackers Guesthouse | Convenient guesthouse in Tokyo

also there is airbnb

Last edited:
I took a look at their site and I'm sure we'll end up using them, lead time won't be an issue though as we aren't planning to go for at least another year. The reason I'm already asking around about this stuff is to give myself plenty of time to sort stuff out.
1 year is good for your friend to be 20. you can't buy alcohol in Japan being under 20.

I'm pretty amazed that this young person doesn't have AirBNB, Uber, and so on all figured out. Along with searches for cheap places to stay, etc.

Is that true? I've never seen anybody asked to show their ID at stores or restaurants but then I never really hung around with people that young either.

Underage drinking in Japan is what you might call "quasi-legal".

Stores just started (farcical) checking a few years ago for things like alcohol and cigarettes. The checking consists of the customer being asked to press a button on a touch screen confirming that they are old enough. That's it. No ID checking whatsoever. I don't go to bars so I have no idea what they do.

Usually the clerk will go ahead and confirm that I'm old enough on my behalf (without even asking!), which I suppose is because they don't expect me to understand the prompt. A flawless system, to be sure :D

If you want to be in the city for your visit, hostels and capsule hotels will be your cheapest option. If there are a few of you, splitting a business hotel room might actually come out cheaper for the level of privacy you get.

Other places may offer room and board in exchange for volunteer work; I did this with a cat rescue operation in Kyoto, and I didn't have to pay accommodation when I volunteered up in Miyagi after the tsunami. There are also WWOOFing opportunities you could look into. But if you want to be on your own schedule and just have cheap accommodation, you'll still have to pay some out of your pocket.

I'm pretty amazed that this young person doesn't have AirBNB, Uber, and so on all figured out. Along with searches for cheap places to stay, etc.
I do use Über I just think a short trip in someone elses car is different from staying in their house

If you want to be in the city for your visit, hostels and capsule hotels will be your cheapest option. If there are a few of you, splitting a business hotel room might actually come out cheaper for the level of privacy you get.

Other places may offer room and board in exchange for volunteer work; I did this with a cat rescue operation in Kyoto, and I didn't have to pay accommodation when I volunteered up in Miyagi after the tsunami. There are also WWOOFing opportunities you could look into. But if you want to be on your own schedule and just have cheap accommodation, you'll still have to pay some out of your pocket.
I asked my father who did a lot of traveling in his youth and was told that splitting a middle end hotel room or staying at a hostel would be best for us.

Stores just started (farcical) checking a few years ago for things like alcohol and cigarettes. The checking consists of the customer being asked to press a button on a touch screen confirming that they are old enough. That's it. No ID checking whatsoever. I don't go to bars so I have no idea what they do.
Yeah that is not at all how it is here in Canada. If you're caught trying to buy alcohol from the LCBO you're lucky if you don't get a fine and a night in jail. That said if you try to get into a bar using a fake ID and fail the most that will happen is the bouncer will wave you away.

they even press the button for you sometimes to make it faster but once I was with a girl who looked like a teenager and they asked for her ID which she didn't have so I bought it for her.

Back
Top Bottom