What's new

Best up to date book about Japanese business etiquette and practices

cocoichi

後輩
28 Jul 2015
Hi everybody,

Since I want to move with my wife (Japanese) to Japan in a few years, I want to move my current career in that direction as well to gain valuable experience before moving. I am currently looking for jobs within Japanese companies where I live, so I want to be as prepared as one can be. Through study, internships and extensive periods of stay in Japan I believe I certainly have a feel for the business culture and etiquette, however there is always more to learn and room to improve. For this reason I would like to read some good books about it.

I am looking for two kinds of books:
- A book with modern Japanese business etiquette and common practices (quite new or recently revised)
- A book that describes the Japanese business world/economy in detail (structure of sogo shoshas, history, important business people like the Donald Trump, Richard Branson, Steve Jobs, etc of Japan)

Does anyone have good recommendations for this?

Thanks in advance!

I have no idea if it's any good but Hiroshi Mikitani published a book recently. He's the founder of Rakuten and is the first person that occurred to me when you mentioned you are interested in Japanese business visionaries. (Personally I wouldn't include Trump on that list. His primary skills are self-promotion, narcissism and self-aggrandizement.)

I know of two books on Japanese business. They are an older book and a very recent book. I lost the older book. The newer book is by the Japan Library and is called Tree-Ring Management publish this year.

I have no idea if it's any good but Hiroshi Mikitani published a book recently. He's the founder of Rakuten and is the first person that occurred to me when you mentioned you are interested in Japanese business visionaries. (Personally I wouldn't include Trump on that list. His primary skills are self-promotion, narcissism and self-aggrandizement.)

Thanks mdchachi, I will look into it! Btw, it's not that I like Donald Trump, but it is hard to ignore his accomplishments as a businessman. To learn is to keep an open mind. There are many ways to achieve results:pompous:

I know of two books on Japanese business. They are an older book and a very recent book. I lost the older book. The newer book is by the Japan Library and is called Tree-Ring Management publish this year.

Thank you very much for this, it definitely looks interesting.
Hiroshi Tsukakoshi is the chairman of a kanten manufacturer that is far from the bustle of Tokyo amid the natural beauty of Nagano prefecture. His desire has been to build the kind of company that makes its employees happy and makes a contribution to society by doing so.
-
So far my impression that a great workplace and contribution to society are key elements in many Japanese companies' mission statements. Is this true?

Before I started working at a Japanese programming company I had the same thing but couldn't find a lot regarding business manners in English, as although I am sure there must be something good.

Instead I found some in Japanese that had lots of images which made things easier to understand for me. Next time I'll look at the bookshop I'll remember to write it here.

How's your Japanese btw?

Before I started working at a Japanese programming company I had the same thing but couldn't find a lot regarding business manners in English, as although I am sure there must be something good.

Instead I found some in Japanese that had lots of images which made things easier to understand for me. Next time I'll look at the bookshop I'll remember to write it here.

How's your Japanese btw?

My Japanese, according to my own estimation based on the requirements, is close to N3 level. I would need some time to brush up though, as I have not really used it for a while. 2016 will all about self study Japanese. I have done a few courses at university and completed the elementary books with some additional side materials and time in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom