What's new

Beginner Japanese learner, Can you help me with this sentence?

ジェシカ

Registered
4 Jan 2016
"Watashi wa takushī de ienikaerudarou" is according to google translator: I will go home by taxi.

I was wondering what the 'ieni' is doing in front of the kaeru and what it's purpose is?

ありがとうございます!

Watashi wa takushii de ie ni kaeru darou.
私はタクシーで家に帰るだろう

Have you started learning Japanese yet? What are you using? If that is the only part you got hung up on, should we assume you understand the grammar and vocabulary of all the rest of it? If you understand all the rest of it, it is hard to see how you got hung up on 家に.

ie is "house" and ni is "to." Without that, often you can assume the speaker means home. But this makes it explicit.
Would they normally only make it explicit like this when it's not clear by context that the 帰る would be to home? I was always told 帰る was more "return" than it was to "go to". So in other words if they had come to where they were from somewhere other than home they might clarify?

Would they normally only make it explicit like this when it's not clear by context that the 帰る would be to home? I was always told 帰る was more "return" than it was to "go to". So in other words if they had come to where they were from somewhere other than home they might clarify?
Yes, it's pretty much always return. It could mean return to home to office or wherever. So if it's not clear, specify. But in my experience, 戻る is typically used when returning to other places and 帰る is mostly reserved for home. Sometimes though even the implied home is not clear. For example it could be your actual residence or your family home (実家) where your parents are.

Back
Top Bottom