What's new

Awesome iPhone Apps

azukibean

後輩
6 Feb 2007
Konnichiwa Minna-san🙂
I just bought myself an iPhone 3G :)and was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for apps to help study Japanese.
Thanks

Um, well, I've seen "Kanji/hiragana/katakana flip", but seriously....you may want to learn stroke pattern. First off, download the 50MB dictionary, it's awesome. Browse to see if stroke patterns are given, especially for Kanji. I'm going to buy Kanji Flip later on, or something of that.

I have iAnki, which is more of a web app, but still really useful when i want to do my daily review and adding away from home/computer.

Human Japanese light
A great app with really detailed info for beginner japanese, i probably wont buy the full app cause i think ive already studied whats in it, but i would recommend it to any beginners learning japanese, its really good to start learning japanese. I wish i had it when i was beginning japanese.

Word power lite
Made by Innovative language learning, who are the guys who do Japanesepod101. It gives you a different word every day and lets you put it into a word bank. its very mediocre.

Kotoba
A pretty normal j/e e/j dictionary based on the wwwjdic files. its free, but im still waiting for a legit, J/E E/J High quality Legit Dictionary. Theres the WISDOM dictionary on itunes but it doesnt have furigana, which is pretty much a must for me right now, cause i dont know enough kanji. Biding my time....

Also buy Kanji by Lima Sky. 99 cents and worth much more. Kanji Flip is okay but I didn't buy it.

I reviewed all Japanese Dictionaries / Kana / Kanji / Phrase iphone apps that I believe are the best out there. Don't want to spam so will just say search for 'learn japanese iphone' and you should be able to find it. Having said that here are a few of my favorite ones. iKana Touch is clearly the best for those learning hiragana/katakana. Not gonna say which is best dictionary since some are aimed at native or advanced users and everyone has different budget. Human Japanese is nice if your brand spanking new to learning Japanese. Japanese / Kanji flip are pretty decent too. Gonna review today (that's my goal) the Encyclopedia Daijirin 大辞林.

Overall iphone still has a ways to go though in Japanese Kanji apps like those published for the Nintendo DS but then again the prices are a tad more reasonable on the iphone though. So only time will tell.

Defenately download "HiKa Chan K" and "HiKa Chan H". It teaches you Hirigana and Katakana with pictures. Yes it works (very well I must say) but It also teaches you the brush stroke for every one. I defenately recomend it. I know all my Katkana and Hirigana from these programs. Also the brush strokes as well.

Konnichiwa!

I know this is an old thread, but I'm putting this link here to help people who search for learning games for their iPhone/iPod/iPad.

I'm an indie developer and created a free learning app.

Japanese Please! on the App Store

I use it every day to improve my katakana recognition. It's free and it's fun. Download it and let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Ron

I didn't buy the full version but I used to play Ninja Words Adventure Lite. I did almost get the full version, the only reason I didn't is because it doesn't cover pronunciation. It is a great way to learn kanji though especially if you commute by train or something like that :)

Check out:

1) Midori - Japanese/English dictionary.
App Store - Midori (Japanese Dictionary)

2) Japanese Video News - App with Japanese video clips, translation and ability to make vocabulary lists
Japanese Video News for iPad on the iTunes App Store

3) Japanese 2000 & Japanese 4000 - Japanese vocabulary app. Use this every day (well almost).
App Store - Japanese2000

4) Wakaru : Japanese Reader with built in dictionary and you can create your own word lists.
App Store - Wakaru - Read and Understand Japanese

There are some good Japanese/English Bible apps available if you're into that as well:

1) Visual Bible 21

2) Dual Bible
[url=http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dual-bible/id536434082?mt=8]App Store - Dual Bible

Back
Top Bottom