What's new

Question attend classes regularly

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
I have another question.

Does "attend classes regularly" mean "attend every or almost every class"? I'm not sure what "regularly" exactly means.

Hirashin

The meaning of "regularly" is very, very close to the Japanese 定期的(に).
It implies performing an action on some sort of regular or scheduled, periodic basis.
Beyond that, it does not say anything definite about frequency or lack thereof.

This is a personal impression (as a native speaker of American English), but I probably would not use this particular phrase to describe an elementary/junior high/high school/college student who would (simply by definition) be expected to attend multiple classes every day. Rather, the nuance sounds more like it is describing, for example, an adult 社会人 who is taking a class in something once a week/month/etc.

This is a personal impression (as a native speaker of American English), but I probably would not use this particular phrase to describe an elementary/junior high/high school/college student who would (simply by definition) be expected to attend multiple classes every day. Rather, the nuance sounds more like it is describing, for example, an adult 社会人 who is taking a class in something once a week/month/etc.

If you google the words, within quotes, and look at how the phrase is actually used "in the wild", you will see that most uses, in fact, pertain to college and university students. That is what I would have expected.

Thanks for the help, jt_, mdchachi, and joadbres.
I asked about it because 定期的に does not work in Japanese. 規則的に might be better, but it's still vague. It's one of the hardest words to translate into Japanese, I guess. (Am I saying it right? I hope it makes sense.)

Back
Top Bottom