What's new

Association of 冷やし中華 with horror?

lanthas

27 Apr 2014
I recently encountered a random reference to this dish in a horror context, which has me confused.

The setting is a 実況プレイ動画 of a video game that includes maids. As sometimes happens with these games, at a certain point the player suddenly encounters a maid that has partially fallen through the floor: only part of her head is still visible, resulting in a somewhat creepy sight.

The video freezes at this frame, goes black and white, and gives commentary in a slow, creepy voice:
お分かりいただけただろうか
この部屋の床隅に
なんと、メイドさんの生首が写りこんでいたのです
ズルズルズルズル
冷やし中華うめぇ

The explanation for the first sentence was easy to find - it introduces the picture as containing a scary element. However, I didn't find anything for the 冷やし中華.

Is it a pop culture reference of some sort? Or is it simply because the dish is chilled, similar to the "chilling" effect of horror stories?

Got a link to the 実況?

It sounds like a stupid joke - like he's playing off the slipping of the maid through the floor (ズルズル) with the sound of slurping ramen.

Link to the video (the fragment starts at 14:10, should jump to it automatically)
I'll warn you ahead of time that it's a so-called ゆっくり動画, that is, the commentary is not spoken by a human but generated with a text-to-speech program. Add music and multiple voices talking at the same time and things get pretty chaotic. (However, since everything is subtitled in Japanese and TTS voices always speak clearly, it's nice for listening practice - as long as you don't limit yourself to it of course)

Ramen slurping is another possible interpretation - the series is definitely silly in general. Maybe I'm looking into this too deeply.

Last edited:
Got it - its just a joke (an attempt at a joke). The TTS voice says ズルズルズルズル and the other voice says, "what? what happened?", and the TTS voice then says hiyashi-chūka ume. You probably know that hiyashi-chūka is a food that is slurped. So the set-up is the slurping sound, and the punch line (if you want to call it that) is the voice saying "冷やし中華うめぇ" - something completely unexpected and unconnected to the scene. A tiny fragment of absurdist humor. (Maybe also funny because of the image of the mech voice actually eating something).

Edit: Then, a few seconds later, the second voice says basically that the maid was rescued safe and sound (ああ、無事だった。よし、救出完了) and the other voice continues, "hiyashi-chūka, gochisosama". So its just trying to be funny by playing the one voice concentrating on the game, against the other voice which is apparently concentrating on eating the hiyashi-chūka

Last edited:
As Majestic-san wrote, ズルズル is the sound of slurping 冷やし中華. It's nothing to do with メイドさんの生首.
魔理沙: ズルズルズルズル
A: なに!?なにがあったの!?
魔理沙: 冷やし中華うめぇ
A: お前なに食ってんだよ
魔理沙 said a joke. ズルズル sounds like as if someone is slipping something(生首, of course) or something is slipping, but actually, 魔理沙 is slurping 冷やし中華.

EDIT:
Ooops, Majestic-san beats me again!:)

That makes much more sense - thank you, Majestic, Toritoribe. I knew that noodles are slurped in Japan, but the association didn't occur to me while watching... Too focused on the "chilled" part as opposed to the noodles :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom