What's new

Arudou Debito - !!?

I thought that for the most part, the articles written by this dude were okay, and yeah, he changed his name but he has a valid point, he wants to integrate into japanese society, and he's taken the steps to it, in britain, nothing stops an immigrant becomming british other than their loyalty to their homeland and culture, which is fine, but when someone wants to become british, theres little to stop them (remembers a photo of a man of indian descent wearing a traditional scottish outfit, lol).

I got the impression through various essays and articles that in japan, this isnt the case, you are a foreigner, full stop, you can be white, and born there and grow up there, but you will in many ways still be considored gaijin?.

Some of the unfounded criticism against debito are things along the lnies of being a miserable failure, and why did he betray and give up his american citizen ship, and he went to japan to be liked and awe the natives and what-not, which also gives me reason to believe, if a counter argument to his points are personal attacks, maybe he has hit a home truth.

So yeah, for the most part i feel he highlighted some issues foreigners in japan face, its not an assault on his conutry of residence that he loves, its real issues facing him, which is cool, not everyone is willing to be so active in changing an entire society for the better.

As for the japanese police, i can only hope they dont lock target onto me when i visit japan this christmas, i find it pretty primitive that in this day and age, in such a developed nation, foreigners as a group are having to carry the label of criminals, it reminds me of the medieval age when being a moor and visitting a european city, the peasants would look at you suspiciously.
Dunno, smacks of unfair descrimination to me, and i dont savour the idea of being wrongly put away in the japanese prison system, which from what ive heard is very damn backwards.

Undokai

Bruce Weber was here for his movie and exhibition last month.
He showed his great interest in the Undokai, esp. kids enjoying the fes, eating with his mouth full of Onigiri rice balls at lunch and showing their friendly "peace" signs to him.

Arudou's view on the Undokai *it is 6 years old, but I hope he hasn't changed his view.
untitled

I admit Bruce Weber is a bit more famous than Arudou, and it might be just his index finger service to shoot the photos, but quite interesting.