Are you a junior member or a higher ranck

Which are you? junior member or a higher statis

• Yah, I'm a junior member

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No way, I'm more then that

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While we're talking about beer: there's a new kind of beer in Japan called [happo-shu] containing a lower volume of malt and alcohol.

A few lines from J-List:

"The war for control of Japan's beer market continues to rage. The two biggest companies, Asahi and Kirin, keep taking the lead back from each other, as each tries to come up with new ways to steal market share from their rival. Currently, Asahi has 39 per cent of the market, and Kirin 35 per cent. The market has undergone many changes since the emergence of happo-shu, a kind of beer that is made slightly differently than normal beer, although I don't understand the difference at all (happo-shu just tastes like beer to me, although it's not terribly good). Because the taxes on happo-shu are much lower than on beer, it's much cheaper for consumers, and this has sparked a price war that has brought the prices of virtually all alcoholic beverages down to as much as half what they were a few years ago, contributing to Japan's deflationary spiral. The current price leader is Suntory, though, with their new "Ad Draft Happo-shu." To lower the cost of the beer, other companies can advertise right on the front of the can. It's about $1.10 a can.

More news on beer

=> The Asahi Shimbun

=> The Taipei Times Online: 2001-11-24 (with a pic of Prime Minister Koizumi's son Kotaro who acted in Suntory's ad campaign, see below)

A Burp in the Road: Japan's Happoshu Tax

=> Sake-Drenched Postcards - Cheap Beer's Burp in the Road

kotaro.jpg

Suntory beer tastes worse than American beer. period ... horrid stuff. I get headaches after drinking it.

I don't care for the hoposhu type very much. It's just pee water with alcohol content IMHO. My wife didn't mind it but ... I'd prefer something with body and taste. I'm not into the guiness types but ... still.

We have an Irish pub in town. :)

And quite a few mini-brews and local chi-birus [local beers]

So, I'm sure most foreignors won't miss their favorite flavors that much.

Although, I'm craving for an ice cold Michelob dry or Genesse Ale from NY ughhhh

Somebody send this boy a six-pack will ya ;)

@Debs thanks :)

@thomas ... errrr ... that's not a dry though ;) Mickey Dry's are pretty close to Asahi's Super Dry ;) in taste. But they come in bottles.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I could do a Carlsberg in a pinch too though.

I wouldn't care since I changed mine to Ooi..

:D

But I would like to become an advisor after some posting over here!😊

FYI:

user titles have been modified as follows

=>

Member (Minimum Posts: 20)
Senior Member (Minimum Posts: 50)
Old Japan Hand (Minimum Posts: 100)
Veteran (Minimum Posts: 250)

Wow, there must be quite a few Japan Hands and Vets now.
;)

@ moyashi well you do know what they say ""it's probably the best lager in the world" lol

Now I'm just so curious!! have you seen the advertisements for the Carlsberg Banks,, they are great!! They definitely have a great campaign of ads here. No wonder their lager is so popular!!

:) I wanna drink a beer sooo bad. It's like my bones are craving for one.

@thomas ....
what comes after 250 posts ? Something's missing.

Eternal circle of life: once you're a veteran and reach 500 posts, you'll start all over again as Junior Member, hehe.

Seriously, you suggested to introduce J-related titles which is a good idea. Any ideas?

ughhh, I wrote something somewhere ... forgot.

but it was something to like levels to nirvana, Japanese military ranks, ranks up to shogun, or even something from a game or anime.

Back
Top Bottom