What's new

Are these sentences correct?

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
Ratings
Hello, native English speakers.
Are the following sentences correct?
1) The saying "A rolling stone gathers no moss" has more than one meanings.
2) I don't agree with the view that human beings cannot make the earth a peaceful planet.

Hirashin

Ratings
2) I don't agree with the view that human beings cannot make the earth a peaceful planet.
This sounds a tiny bit clunky to me - but it's 100% correct.

I'd probably omit the 'the' before 'earth' and change 'planet' to 'place' as it feels more natural in this context to refer to the earth as a place.

"I don't agree with the view that human beings cannot make Earth a peaceful place."

Also for some reason the 'cannot' is bugging me. Possibly because of the use of 'don't' rather than 'do not'. It doesn't feel consistent. You can keep it the way it is, but I think it might flow better if you make either both of them contracted, or in their respective long forms.

Ratings
I prefer the way you wrote it originally.

Usually a phrase like this is in the context of a debate or other more formal speaking situation, in which case the higher formality and specification of "the Earth" make sense.

I would agree with IAmABaka if it were a positive statement such as "I think people can make earth a peaceful place" which would appropriately be said in an informal situation. The paired "don't" and "cannot" are, otherwise than within formal speech, an atrocious affectation...

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
Ratings
Thank you for the help, Wonko the Sane.

I prefer the way you wrote it originally.
Oh, really? I'm glad to hear that.:whistling:

Usually a phrase like this is in the context of a debate or other more formal speaking situation, in which case the higher formality and specification of "the Earth" make sense.

I would agree with IAmABaka if it were a positive statement such as "I think people can make earth a peaceful place" which would appropriately be said in an informal situation. The paired "don't" and "cannot" are, otherwise than within formal speech, an atrocious affectation...
Then you can use "don't" and "cannot" together in a sentence in formal speech. Am I right?

Hirashin

Ratings
Then you can use "don't" and "cannot" together in a sentence in formal speech. Am I right?

Hirashin
It's not really the formality of the speech, but the specificity needed. That level of specificity is more likely needed in formal speech (debates, presentations, etc.) because often specific claims are addressed. There are informal situations where it would be appropriate since there aren't more generalized ways to express a thought: "I can't stand that you cannot remember to put down the toilet seat." Would be an example I've certainly heard.