What's new

Are Japanese onsen superior?

Habaek

Kouhai
27 Mar 2018
before I think about planning a trip to Hakone(doesn't even cost that much), I just like to know if the onsens are really superior to the onsen here. Harrison Hot Springs - Wikipedia

^ that onsen in link is basically where all Vancouver people goes. I'm talking about superior in terms of the minerals in water

620FEE33-A107-46AD-956E-259228B8CAFD.jpeg

Ask them whether they care.

before I think about planning a trip to Hakone(doesn't even cost that much), I just like to know if the onsens are really superior to the onsen here. Harrison Hot Springs - Wikipedia

^ that onsen in link is basically where all Vancouver people goes. I'm talking about superior in terms of the minerals in water

Does it really matter??

You either want to come to Japan and visit an Onsen or you do not.

Your make or break point about whether you'll fly 7,500 kilometers from north America to Japan comes down to the mineral content of the hot springs water?

Have you considered just buying some bath salts and hopping in your bathtub for a few hours? You could even have bubbles that way.

Your make or break point about whether you'll fly 7,500 kilometers from north America to Japan comes down to the mineral content of the hot springs water?

Have you considered just buying some bath salts and hopping in your bathtub for a few hours? You could even have bubbles that way.

Plenty of people do that the flying 7,500 kilometers.

I'm sure there are many who would do so for as little as trying different types of ramen.
a few beers on the ANA flight and you are there before you know it lol. It also helps that
some of the stewardesses are pretty but a little old.

Why have you provided a link that gives absolutely no information about the hot springs there?!?!?

Maybe you could edit (add to) that wikipedia entry so that it would actually provide some information about those hot springs?

You need to work on your reading comprehension bro.

"here are two hot springs, the "Potash", with a temperature of 40 °C, and the "Sulphur", with a temperature of 65 °C. According to Harrison Hot Springs Resort, the waters average 1300 ppm of dissolved mineral solids, one of the highest concentrations of any mineral spring."

@Habaek, does superiority really matter? I've visited many different hot springs in Japan and North America, and for the most part they've all been worth the visit just for the unique experience they all provide. But I don't really pay attention to mineral content; that seems like a pretty tangential reason to go to an onsen compared to the overall experience. I don't think too many onsen even market themselves that way; that information is not readily available. There are a lot of man-made springs (drilled or not geothermal), so if natural mineral content is your main concern, I'd recommend looking specifically for 天然温泉

In terms of ambience, Harrison looks very nice. Most onsen in Japan won't be quite as spacious, but I've valued each one I've visited just the same. Sometimes the small ones give the best memories.

The whole purpose of going to an onsen/hot spring is because the water is not merely just hot water.
I actually kind of find it funny you even suggested it. I don't think bubbles could replace mineral content of a hot spring.

Commentary about Hakone Onsen.
Hakone hot spring is a general term for hot springs located in Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa prefecture.
From the foot of the Hakone volcano to the middle street, spa towns are scattered around here.
The vicinity is designated as Fuji - Hakone Izu National Park.
"惣湯(Shouyu)" discovered by "釈浄定坊(shaku jojobo)" in the Tenpyo Decade (738) of the Nara period.
During the Edo Period, it prosper as a hot spring along the 東海道(Tokaido), one of the five village roads, known as "箱根七湯(Hakone shichito)".
Dedication to the 将軍(shougun) was also frequently done.
Today, the development of new hot springs has progressed.
and in addition to the historical Hakone shichito + Ubako, nine of the Ohiradai, Kowakudani, Ninotaira , Gora, Miyagino, Sengokuhara, Yunohana, Lake Ashino and Takokawa, In addition, it added three places of Sounzan, Owakudani and Kojiri. to be called "箱根二十湯(Hakone nijutto)".

Main hot spring quality. (主な泉質)
Spring quality is chloride spring, simple hot spring and so on.
The health benefits of hot spring baths.(温泉の効能)
They are also effective for fatigue recovery, recuperation after illness, injuries and skin diseases.
Spring quality and the effects are different according to the source of the hot spring.
Sample of hot spring composition chart.
箱根湯本の温泉旅館「花紋・かもん」
温泉の成分、禁忌症及び入浴上の注意事項
自家源泉の成分及び特徴|箱根 花紋(かもん)

Spring quality is chloride spring

That's very informative thank you, so over there they're chloride springs. While here in Canada it's sulfur springs. I know they are both good but what are the differences?

I never taken chemistry in fact I skipped school on days with science class.

, so over there they're chloride springs. While here in Canada it's sulfur springs. I know they are both good but what are the differences?

"塩化物泉(chloride springs)"
Characteristic of the chloride spring.
It is salty with salty, contains hot salt similar to sea water. Salt remains on the skin after bathing so that it does not evaporate sweat, so it has a heat retention effect because it is hard to cool down.

The health benefits of hot spring baths.
Suitable for the elderly. Recovery after illness, chronic rheumatism, chills, bruises, sprains. Females are good for infertility and genital diseases.

Miyanoshita Onsen/Sokokura Onsen/

"硫黄泉(sulfur springs)"
Characteristics of sulfur spring.
It features a smell like eggs are rotten. Even though it is clear at fountain, sulfur will eventually precipitate and turn yellow.

The health benefits of hot spring baths.
Since it has an effect of spreading blood vessels, it is effective for arteriosclerosis, frostbite, toxemia of drugs and perseverance, chronic skin diseases, rheumatism, chronic fainting. Attention is required because there are side effects such as dermatitis with hot water or a weak fire.

Ashinoyu Onsen/

As reference material
"Quality and indication of hot springs"
http://www1.rcn.ne.jp/~baien/onsenpage/onsennokounou1.htm

The hot springs in Japan are defined by the hot spring law.

1.)The source of the hot spring more than 25 degrees Celsius.
2.)Even if it is less than 25 ° C, the total amount of dissolved matter excluding gas components is 1,000 mg or more.
(dissolved matter)

1. Dissolved substances (excluding gaseous ones) Total 1000 mg or more
2. Free carbonic acid (CO 2) 250 mg or more
3. Lithium ion (Li +) 1 mg or more
4. Strontium ion (Sr ++) 10 mg or more
5. Barium ion (Ba ++) 5 mg or more
6. Ferro or ferrion ions (Fe ++, Fe +++) 10 mg or more
7. First manganese ion (Mn ++) 10 mg or more
8. Hydrogen ion (H +) 1 mg or more
9. Bromide ion (Br -) 5 mg or more
10. Iodine ion (I -) 1 mg or more
11. Fluoride ion (F -) 2 mg or more
12. Hydrogen arsenate ion (HAsO 4 -) 1.3 mg or more
13. Metasilicic acid (HAsO 2) 1 mg or more
14. Total sulfur (S) [corresponding to HS-, S2O3 -, H2S] 1 mg or more
15. Metaboric acid (HBO 2) 5 mg or more
16. Metasilicic acid (H 2 SiO 3) 50 mg or more
17. Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO 3) 340 mg or more
18. Radon (Rn) 20 × 10 - 10 Ci or more
19. Radium salt (as Ra) 100 million or more
温泉法(Hot spring law)
e-Gov法令検索

温泉の定義(Definition of hot springs)
温泉の定義 [温泉の保護と利用]

@Hiroyuki Nagashima

That's very informative, thank you. It's a good thing they have the "Hot Spring Law" to keep a standard.(guess I'm falling in love with Japan again) I was looking at more information on this website explaining what's the Hot Spring Law What is an onsen? | Improve and maintain health with onsen | For people seeking to improve their health | Japan Health & Research Institute

It turns out there are more types of hot springs in Japan than just chloride and sulfur.

56756765.png

Also some rules(or just guideline most people ignore?)

65756765.png

Edit: I just want to add that

Wow it's almost like an art form to some Japanese people.
089089089.png god damn, in my opinion Japanese people are much more cultured in the way of enjoying hot springs. :emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
The whole purpose of going to an onsen/hot spring is because the water is not merely just hot water.
I actually kind of find it funny you even suggested it. I don't think bubbles could replace mineral content of a hot spring.
Whoosh...

How to enjoy hot springs.
1.Hot spring cooking.
Onsen-tamago(Hot-spring egg)
The specialty eggs of Owakudani hot springs in Hakone and Goshogake hot springs are black.

黒卵
Kuro-tanago(Black egg)
This is because the iron in the hot springs turns the egg shells black.
"Add 7 years to your life! Eat the Legendary Black Egg (Kuro-Tamago)"
Add 7 years to your life! Eat the Legendary Black Egg (Kuro-Tamago) - 大涌谷園地の口コミ - トリップアドバイザー
温泉蒸し料理
Spring eggs, hot-spring steamed dishes.
?別府温泉の別府地獄めぐりの各地獄では卵を温泉で蒸したり茹でたりした温泉卵が名物となっている。?
Each of the Jigoku spring areas on the Beppu Jigoku Meguri (Beppu Hell Tour) of Beppu hot springs has specialty onsen eggs which are steamed or boiled in the hot spring water.

Back
Top Bottom